Front end rebuild on 1967 Dart

-

VintageRacer67

1967 Dart GT 318/Auto
Reaction score
So while I had the center link out to install headers on my 1967 Dart, I decided it would be a good time to replace worn out front end components. I am a rookie at all this, so I wanted to run this by some more experienced minds.

I’m looking at a Firm Feel '73-'76: H.P. kit; Urethane Bushings, 11/16" Seamless Tube Tie Rod Kit (with tubular upper control arms) Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering
This is so I could pair it with a Doctor Diff disc brake conversion kit that uses 73-76 spindles. It is my understanding I would also need a 73-76 center link for this to work. Is this a sound plan? Am I missing anything? Any advice or experience shared would be much appreciated. Thank you.

You cannot use the 73/ later stuff on a 67 UNLESS you either change to a 68 or later K member or modify the 67 idler arm mount so that it will accept a 68-72 or a 73/ later idler arm. The 67 idler is "one year only" and mounts with a stud rather than a through-bolt

"The deal" on these parts is:

67 K member MUST use a 67 idler arm unless modified, otherwise same as 68--72 K member

In 73--76, the K member was changed to the "spool" motor mounts and the STEERING LINKAGE was changed so that the studs point the opposite direction

Also in 73, cars equipped with factory anti-roll bars were different and the bar went INSIDE the K member, so the bar must match the K or be aftermarket. The tabs on the lower arms which connect the bar links are also different, if equipped

Regardless of year car (except 67 idler arm), the parts which MUST go together are

There is a large and small spline steering box, so the pitman must fit the steering box

Whatever year the pitman is, the center link and idler arm must be in those year ranges

You cannot use the 73/ later stuff on a 67 UNLESS you either change to a 68 or later K member or modify the 67 idler arm mount so that it will accept a 68-72 or a 73/ later idler arm. The 67 idler is "one year only" and mounts with a stud rather than a through-bolt

"The deal" on these parts is:

67 K member MUST use a 67 idler arm unless modified, otherwise same as 68--72 K member

In 73--76, the K member was changed to the "spool" motor mounts and the STEERING LINKAGE was changed so that the studs point the opposite direction

Also in 73, cars equipped with factory anti-roll bars were different and the bar went INSIDE the K member, so the bar must match the K or be aftermarket. The tabs on the lower arms which connect the bar links are also different, if equipped

Regardless of year car (except 67 idler arm), the parts which MUST go together are

There is a large and small spline steering box, so the pitman must fit the steering box

Whatever year the pitman is, the center link and idler arm must be in those year ranges

Wow. Thank you for all the useful information. I guess I’m going to have to go back to the drawing board on this. I’m quickly learning ‘67s are very….. unique in many ways when it comes to parts. Firm Feel charges $100 extra for 1967 Dart kits, now I see why.

You might talk to the tech line at Firm Feel, tell them what the intended use of the car is and they are great at suggesting upgrades that fit your needs.

They use Moog for replacement parts FYI. Tie rods, ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm.

As for the rest of FF items. I did the full kit on my 72 duster. Upper control arms, boxed LCA’s, 1.0 T-bars, sway bars, shocks, rear springs, manual steering box rebuild with 20/1 and such. The hard parts are super nice and have held up well to my hard driving.

If your only doing the replacement parts like ball joints, tie rods and such. I’d get these from RockAuto. Will be cheaper for the same Moog parts. But if doing up grades FF is where it’s at..

@67Dart273 I know you are wealth of knowledge, especially regarding ‘67 Darts. I decided that I need to confirm that my ‘67 has the 67-72 K member and LCAs before I go any further planning this front end rebuild. I believe my K member is 67-72, but I can’t tell on the LCAs. If you could give me you opinion on that, I would very much appreciate it. I also noticed mine is missing the front sway bar for some reason.

3490ABAA-21DD-4B1A-8A6B-306FE2EC163F.jpeg

9E8FB295-DA30-42F4-8B34-1B8852541A58.jpeg

Sorry I am no help, I don't know the difference in the LCA's. They all interchange 67-76 except for the tab issue on anti -roll bars

So far as the "K" I cannot see the idler arm mount so I cannot help you there, either

Here is some more:

67 K member is all by iteself because of the stud mount idler arm. That arm MUST be used, or the K modified to fit a 68/ later which uses a bolt all the way through

68--72 K member uses an "underslung" anti-roll bar and pillow engine mounts
72-later K members the anti roll bar goes INSIDE the K and they use "spool" mounts
Any year K can be used with any year other components with exceptions:
Upper arms must be for the appropriate spindles as drum brake and 4 piston disk use "small" tapers in the ball joints
The 73/ later disk brake spindles use "large" tapers in the ball joints.
Lower ball joints must fit spindles and are different for 73/ later disk brakes

Any year lower control arms can be used except for mounting tabs for anti-roll bars, which you can fabricate
Any year steering linkage can be used except "the four" must match each other

Steering / Pitman arm must of course fit the spines on the box. Pitman arm must match idler and steering link, the split is 67 if 67K, 68--72, and then 73/ later

Any year tie rods/ sleeves can be used as long as the inner/ outer/ sleeves all match

Sorry I am no help, I don't know the difference in the LCA's. They all interchange 67-76 except for the tab issue on anti -roll bars

So far as the "K" I cannot see the idler arm mount so I cannot help you there, either

Here is some more:

67 K member is all by iteself because of the stud mount idler arm. That arm MUST be used, or the K modified to fit a 68/ later which uses a bolt all the way through

68--72 K member uses an "underslung" anti-roll bar and pillow engine mounts
72-later K members the anti roll bar goes INSIDE the K and they use "spool" mounts
Any year K can be used with any year other components with exceptions:
Upper arms must be for the appropriate spindles as drum brake and 4 piston disk use "small" tapers in the ball joints
The 73/ later disk brake spindles use "large" tapers in the ball joints.
Lower ball joints must fit spindles and are different for 73/ later disk brakes

Any year lower control arms can be used except for mounting tabs for anti-roll bars, which you can fabricate
Any year steering linkage can be used except "the four" must match each other

Steering / Pitman arm must of course fit the spines on the box. Pitman arm must match idler and steering link, the split is 67 if 67K, 68--72, and then 73/ later

Any year tie rods/ sleeves can be used as long as the inner/ outer/ sleeves all match

Okay, well I still appreciate all the information you provided me. It’ll be a big help as I plan this out.

I Guarantee that they don't use MOOG across the board -- because some of those parts are Very Obsolete by MOOG.

Clearly, the Idler Arm for the 1967 has been Discontinued by MOOG decades ago....

I DO have that 1967 Idler Arm brand New if you need or want. P.M. me, as per forum rules, if you need or want one.....

Last edited:
I’m looking at a Firm Feel '73-'76: H.P. kit; Urethane Bushings, 11/16" Seamless Tube Tie Rod Kit (with tubular upper control arms) Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering
This is so I could pair it with a Doctor Diff disc brake conversion kit that uses 73-76 spindles. It is my understanding I would also need a 73-76 center link for this to work.

VintageRacer...Just to confirm what 67Dart273 said...you can re-use your original 67 pitman, center link and idler arm. If you're going with the firm feel large ball joint (73-76) upper control arms and the Dr. Diff 73-76 brake upgrade & spindles you'll be good. You'll need the large lower ball joints. You can re-use your tie rod ends and adjusters.
Your car never came with a sway bar but that can be added if you like. There are kits using bolt on brackets or if you have the fabrication ability you can weld on the tabs as stated above.
If I'm missing anything someone else will chime in.

-
Back