front end rebuild

-

ag65dart

Reaction score
I have a 65 dart base 4 door and i was performing a front end rebuil on my dart. when i was dissassembling the passenger side lower control arm i noticed a shaft running from the lower control arm around the ball joint area and it runs to the front of the k member well the mount hole on the k member is gougedd out and leaving the shaft moving freely i can hear it when i drive over bumps is it an important part of the front end or just a brace any info would be great thank you:violent1:

I have a 65 dart base 4 door and i was performing a front end rebuil on my dart. when i was dissassembling the passenger side lower control arm i noticed a shaft running from the lower control arm around the ball joint area and it runs to the front of the k member well the mount hole on the k member is gougedd out and leaving the shaft moving freely i can hear it when i drive over bumps is it an important part of the front end or just a brace any info would be great thank you:violent1:

It's called a strut rod and is an important part of your suspension. It triangulates the lower control arm and should not be loose in the K Frame. Are the bushings in the K Frame missing or ???

It's called a strut rod and is an important part of your suspension. It triangulates the lower control arm and should not be loose in the K Frame. Are the bushings in the K Frame missing or ???

Probably they are missing.
To someone who doesn't know what they are it probably does look like the hole is too big.

I just happened to have picture today of the strut mount. The bushings shown are the Moog Problem fixer. They install in two rubber pieces, front and rear side of K-frame, the OEM mount is often one piece and is hard to get in. The Torsion bars need to be pulled out to get enough rearward play to remove and install the strut rods. There are detailed posts on this.

Attachments

• strutmnt.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 180
If the strut rod has been bouncing around in the hole for a very long time the hole would be wollered out ( easy to see damage ). Compare to the hole in other side if that bushing is still intact or the new bushing will give you an idea how severe the wear is and whether the K member needs repair or not.

i checked the pass thru on the k frame and the bushing is destroyed with grease slung around it and the whole is distorted thinking of welding a patch on the k member

-
Back