Front end rebuild

-

Topless Shark

Reaction score
I'm starting the front end rebuild on the Shark. A 1968 Barracuda, 318 car with 10" manual drums and power steering. I have decided to stick with the original style components and torsion bars, add a sway bar, and go with Poly Bushings.

But, I would like to use offset uppers in order to get more Caster since I now run Radial tires and the power steering was always iffy. I cant find offsets in any of the available kits and would have to buy them seperately. I also can't find them in Poly, only the Moogs in rubber.

So, the questions. Is the increased caster worth throwing out the Polys that come with the kit and spending another $100.00 for the Rubber offsets? Will I have a problem running the Rubber bushings at the upper control arm and Poly's everywher else?

Another question. This is a road car, it won't ever see a race track, and probably won't see 5,000 miles each year. Local "experts" are recomending that I "box" the lower control arms by welding a sheet of steel to the lower surface to stiffen them. What's the general opinion on the necessity of this? If I do it, what guage steel would be appropiate?

Thanks,
Hugh

you should only need the moog problem solver off set bushings if there is a problem, if your front end is not bent or way off the stock bushings should be fine, if you aren't racing you dont need to box the lower control arms but it will make the sway bar work better, firm feel sells them http://www.firmfeel.com/swaybars_a.htm

I am running the offset upper bushings. I reinforced the k-frame but did not box the LCAs. I have a 1.125" sway bar with heim joints instead of end link bushings. This combo is working well for backroad use. I am taking it to the track next week.

My specific comment is that the poly upper bushings may squeak, and may make the ride noticeably harsher.

The offset is not just for correcting for damage -- it allows for larger amounts of positive caster, which is desirable with radial tires.

For 5000 miles a year it probably doesn't matter that much, unless you like the twisties.

I'm starting the front end rebuild on the Shark. A 1968 Barracuda, 318 car with 10" manual drums and power steering. I have decided to stick with the original style components and torsion bars, add a sway bar, and go with Poly Bushings.

But, I would like to use offset uppers in order to get more Caster since I now run Radial tires and the power steering was always iffy. I cant find offsets in any of the available kits and would have to buy them seperately. I also can't find them in Poly, only the Moogs in rubber.

So, the questions. Is the increased caster worth throwing out the Polys that come with the kit and spending another $100.00 for the Rubber offsets? Will I have a problem running the Rubber bushings at the upper control arm and Poly's everywher else?

Another question. This is a road car, it won't ever see a race track, and probably won't see 5,000 miles each year. Local "experts" are recomending that I "box" the lower control arms by welding a sheet of steel to the lower surface to stiffen them. What's the general opinion on the necessity of this? If I do it, what guage steel would be appropiate?

Thanks,
Hugh

Got a related question to the offset bushings - is there a specific orientation in which they need to be installed? Off set to the inside, outside?

One offset will go inside and one will go outside. What you are really doing is moving the outer end of the control arm (upper ball joint) either forward or back depending on whether you want more or less caster. You probably want more on an A-Body.

Moog offset upper bushings come with instructions. The offset bushing is one of several reasons I wont buy a front end kit.

Thanks,
Hugh

Mancini Racing has both the rubber offset bushings (about 30 bucks) and the stiffening plates (about 25 bucks). As far as rubber and poly, you should have no problem mixing the two materials. There was a time that some poly kits were coming with rubber LCA bushings because the poly pieces had a tendency to sqeak. My Barracuda has the poly set with rubber LCA bushings. I have poly bushings on one car and rubber bushings on another and they`re both just fine. I used the poly on the performance car and rubber on the stock car. I also boxed the LCA on the performance car with the stiffening plates. The plates are inexpensive and the parts were all off the car so "why not"?

Hey, I like that! I thought I would have to cut and roll my own and was wondering how to locate the hole for the torsion bar adjuster. Guess I'll head to Mancini for a minute!

-
Back