front end swapped to disks, what axles do i need to swap in so my lug patterns match?

-

jpywell52

Reaction score
The PO on my scamp was ambitious enough to swap out the front drums to discs and rebuild the front suspension, but now i'm left with two different wheel sizes which makes carrying a spare sort of a gamble. Is the simplest solution to just swap out the axles? If so what am I looking for and what else will need to be changed (obv, drums and hardware but anything else?) Or should I take this opportunity to go disk in the back as well? I'm looking for the cheapest way to do it right and am perfectly happy with the braking performance now.

Thanks for your input.

First you'll need to figure out what rear end is under there.

Ok, pretty sure its 8 1/4". To be honest I wish i could just get two space saver spares one for the front one for the back. Just got a flat today fortunately at work so I can just leave it parked till tomorrow.

If it is an 8 1/4 it will already be big bolt pattern. It sounds like it's not, so it probably is not an 8 1/4. Can you post a pic of the back side of it? You don't mention what car this is, so once again, I have to say my subscription to my crystal ball service ran out.

I'll assume the front is now 73 or later front disc brakes with larger bolt pattern.
The 8.25 rear would have the matching bolt pattern.
With the rear having the smaller bolt pattern you have a 7.25 rear or a 8.75 rear.

7.25 rear with the larger bolt pattern to replace the 7.25 under there is one option. These are common and affordable.

8.75 rears are less common, more costly.
Wheel adapters ( 5 X 4 to 5 X 4.5 ) for either of the 2 rears is the very least expensive option. 2 adapters properly installed, 10 lug nuts, done.
1 spare , 1 lug wrench, happy moparing.

Most popular option for the more desired 8.75 rear is aftermarket axles with the larger bolt pattern. That requires changes in the brake drums also.

I'll assume.........

And there you have it. That's the best you can do. People come on here asking for help and leave all the pertinent information out. It''s kinda gettin old.

its a 7.25. So i'll start looking for a 7.25 LBP rear. Thanks Redfish for your astute assumptions.

its a 7.25. So i'll start looking for a 7.25 LBP rear. Thanks Redfish for your astute assumptions.

They never made a 7 1/4 in BBP from the factory that I am aware of. The 73 - 76 7 1/4 rearends were still SBP and had drum brakes on all 4 corners but the cars with disc brakes had 8 1/4 BBP rear ends. 1972 was the last of the 8 3/4 rearends in an a body.

They never made a 7 1/4 in BBP from the factory that I am aware of. The 73 - 76 7 1/4 rearends were still SBP and had drum brakes on all 4 corners but the cars with disc brakes had 8 1/4 BBP rear ends. 1972 was the last of the 8 3/4 rearends in an a body.

They did build train car loads of 7.25 rears with large bolt pattern from 1973 up. I own 2 of them. There are other differences in them besides the bolt pattern though. The axles and wheel bearings are installed differently.

-
Back