Front End/ Sway Bar ???s

-

7DUSTER3

1973 Plymouth Duster 360
Reaction score
Hey guys, since we are swapping engines in the duster i figured that it would be a great time to beef up the front end a lil in preparation for the 360. We currently have a /6 (torsion bars K-member the whole bit) in it. What would be the best way about beefing it up before we drop our engine? the car will be mainly for the street with occasional strip time. I plan on replacing the torsion bars at least to stock v8 bars. we aren't going to change the k member just upgrading the motor mounts. And possibly getting a sway bar kit. Will this sway bar from summit work (part # HEL-6903) or is there a better way to go? I know i need to upgrade my brakes but im not to sure on what path to take there as well. I am looking for better handling and cornering. Whats out there????

Thanks,
Bryce/Bob

I know that there are others availble but
I think the small block 73 cars would have used the same stock torsion bars as a six. Did I get that from the suspension book? It makes sense. A 318 wouldn’t have weighed much more then a slant six so it would have saved effort.
Someone may know different. I’ve been wrong before.
I bought my poly-graphite bushings from that place out in Arizona and got good stuff.
I make a point to get my “hard” parts like ball joint from a local source. I have had them send stuff from two different manufactures. Works ok but just doesn’t look the same. If I order it local, I can inspect it.
If you have good access to junkyards, go shopping for a sway bar (or is it anti-sway) front end. Maybe you can get the factory lower control arms like that. I have found them in four door cars and slant six Dusters. No rhyme or reason.

Unfortunately for us Mopars in Pick a Parts are few and far to come by. Summit online is my friend but i don't know all that much about what im looking for...

I have bought several front end kits and bars from PST( Performance Suspensions Tech.) Good quality and service . They will be glad to help with any questions 973-299-8019.

If the slat had a/c then it may have had the .850 base V-8 bars. Likewise many a/c 318 cars had the HD .870 bars. If you can read the numbers on the back of the bars post them and we can tell you what you have for sure.

I didn't realize this, or forgot it. 50/50 chance of either.
So there was a differnce on 318 cars?
Great.
Now I'll be under my cars with a mic. measuring the bars trying to figure it out.
](*,)
And knowing Chrysler, (put what you have handy on the car including last years part) you could have anything.
I had a car with one lower control arm with sway bar bracket and one side without.

im doing the same swap, just with a '96 360 out of a ram... i went with stock 340 t-bars as the slant sixes i dont think would work well unless youre a strictly race car set-up. the cleanest/cheapest way to upgrade your brakes is to get the entire disc brake set-up off of a 73 and newer a body. youll need the upper control arms, spindles, lower control arms (with or without sway bar tabs) and the proportioning valve from the same car. itll cost you around 300 or so not counting new calipers, pads, brake hoses and rotors. itll be more then plenty to stop the 360 safely...

Don't remember where I found this info, but it may be of some help:

.810" 90#/in p5249148 drag bars
.830" 100#/in (2535888-9) slant six bars
.850" 110#/in (2535890-1) slant six w/ air--318 w/o air )
.870" 120#/in p5249149 (2535892-3) 318 w/ air--340 std bars
.890" 130#/in p5249150 383 std bars
.920" 150#/in p5249151 h/d handling
.990" 200#/in p5249152 solo/road race
1.040" 250#/in p5249153 h/d solo road race-oval track
1.090" 300"/in p5249154 oval track 1/4 mi--optional 1/2 mi
1.140" 300#/in p5249155 oval track 1/4 and 1/2 mile

I have a set of the 1.140" bars that jimmyray listed in his post if anyone is interested. These might be a little harsh for the street but I do have them.

Chuck

I would recomend going to the Big Block .890" bars. I have them in my Barracuda with a 360. Nice firm but not a harsh ride, much better than the .850 bars thatwere in the car when i got it.

Also, when I did the \6 to 360 swap I used a 73 k-member. I purchased the Addco 1 1/8" sway bar for the 73-76 A-body. Fits good works well and was a resonabel price. I didn't have factory tabs and the kit came with angle brackets that you bolt to the lower control arm. After getting them located and I was satisfied I also welded them to the control arm.

I would recomend going to the Big Block .890" bars. I have them in my Barracuda with a 360. Nice firm but not a harsh ride, much better than the .850 bars thatwere in the car when i got it.

Also, when I did the \6 to 360 swap I used a 73 k-member. I purchased the Addco 1 1/8" sway bar for the 73-76 A-body. Fits good works well and was a resonabel price. I didn't have factory tabs and the kit came with angle brackets that you bolt to the lower control arm. After getting them located and I was satisfied I also welded them to the control arm.

Don't like hijacking someone elses thread...but since we're on the topic...can someone post pics of how the aftermarket swaybar attaches to the K frame.

I pick one up for the front of the Fish from Just Suspension...instructions are not the greatest.

Thanks

Not the best shot but here is a 73+ style bar on my 68 Barracuda.

Swaybar1.jpg

Swaybar1.jpg

Swaybar1.jpg

-
Back