Front fender trimming question.

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
My front wheels are a little too tall and catch the bottom of the front fender when turning, right where it comes to a point. I would like to trim 1/2 inch back to make it work and have room to spare. What is the reccomended method of doing that? I was thinking of taping off a line and using a cutting wheel so as not to damage the paint job.

thanks

If you are just trimming back the fender lip, you already posted the answer on how to do it......tape it, cut off wheel, remove tape, touch up the edge w/ paint.

What size tires are you running with what back space ?

My front wheels are a little too tall and catch the bottom of the front fender when turning, right where it comes to a point. I would like to trim 1/2 inch back to make it work and have room to spare. What is the reccomended method of doing that? I was thinking of taping off a line and using a cutting wheel so as not to damage the paint job.

thanks

Flatlander, I am not sure what you mean about where the tire catches the fender. I am going to assume you mean the very front bottom corner of the fender hitting the tire when the wheel is turned? Are you running the early A Body in your avitar or a later A Body? I know there is not much of a diffrence but cutting a little off the front fender of a later A Body requires some body work due to some welding on the lip. On earlier A Bodies there is a different fender radius with somewhat of a slight flare so I am guessing there will be a little more involved. Unless you are just cutting off some of the inner lip metal? You can do this with some tape and a cutting wheel without hurting the paint/bodywork but will need to brush on some kind of paint or rust prevention to the edge but you already knew that. Just a question though, are you running a 5.5, 6, or 7 inch wheel up front. Anything over 6 inches will rub unless you are cranking up the torsion bars or running super low profile tires. I had 7 inch wheels on my Dart Sport and had issues with tire rub. I changed the tires to 60 series from 70 series and lost the rub but that tire still was close on turns so I dropped the wheel size and the issue was gone.
Chas.

Thankyou gentlemen for the answers! Chaz and rj, it's an early A and running 6 in. wheels and 215/70/14. Just needing to trim the inner lip and thought I'd better ask first, why risk f'ing something up.

I could crank the torsion bars up but then I'd need to raise the rear, more work for me. Right now I love the ride height I'm at and looking forward to getting it alligned and on the road.

Hey Flat, drop that tire to a 60 series and all issues are gone with no alterations to the car. Cheaper to cut but like a tatoo its permanent and the tire will just wear away. I run 215X60X14 on my swinger now with no issues. Your car, your choice but I would just be dropping the tire size if it was me.
Chas.

new car pics 015.JPG

new car pics 047.JPG

-
Back