Front or Back??

-

funhntt

Reaction score
Doing a brake conversion and need to know; Do the calipers go on the front of the disc ( toward the front of the car ) or the the back and why. They can go either way. I got them on the back now just because that looked right to me but thought I would ask before finishing! Thanks for the help!!

Bleeders are up now, but if I switch the cals to the front all I have to do is swap sides with the calipers and the bleeders will still be at the top.

Came factory on the front. IIRC. But I like to put them on the back my self. It is a what ever kind of thing.

Came factory on the front. IIRC. But I like to put them on the back my self. It is a what ever kind of thing.

Yes, the 73-76 A Body single piston calipers came from the factory, mounted to the front.
The 65-72 Kelsey Hayes calipers were mounted to the rear.
On your conversion it really doesn't matter which way you mount them, as long as you use a rubber hose that works for the caliper location, front, or rear.

Yes, the 73-76 A Body single piston calipers came from the factory, mounted to the front.
The 65-72 Kelsey Hayes calipers were mounted to the rear.
On your conversion it really doesn't matter which way you mount them, as long as you use a rubber hose that works for the caliper location, front, or rear.
I have universal flex hoses on there now. Had to put a turn in them to gettem' to fit. Will this be a problem? There are no kinks in the line and all clearances are good when turning the wheel

According to advance auto parts, the part numbers list a "passenger" and "driver" side. However their computer also states that if the calipers are mounted on the rear side to reverse part numbers. So either way, the calipers will work on either side.

stock they came on front. but you can put them in the rear if you want. if you put them in the rear make sure you use the correct brake hose. you want it to be safe when done.

Thanks for all your help. Got them on the rear and they are working great!!

-
Back