Front Pan Seal

-

Dart50

Reaction score
No laughing…..
This seems like such simple thing but it just stopped me from buttoning up the front of my engine. I have a 76 318 and was trying to install the front pan gasket that has one large nipple and one small.

I am having a hard time getting the nipples into the oil pan holes and just ruined a seal trying.
The nipples just do not want to go into the holes. Pushed lake hell and they would not got. The put some oil on the tab and pushed, and still no go. Then I tried pushing while pulling on the nipple from the other side with pliers. Well I got the large nipple in doing this but when I did the same thing on the small side the nipple pulled right off.
My first thought is to just drill the holes a little larger?

I ordered the new seal but am looking for some advice to install the seal so I do not ruin another one.

Thanks

That'll work, as they are only there for installation alignment anyway.

I do the same with the pliers and a little oil on them.

Big nipples! Mmmmmm The problem is they usually get bigger when you pull on them.... ;)

I have used a small self tapping/sheetmetal screw from the outside into the rubber on occassion,, when the nurple tears off..

And ,, the best way I've found, as stated,, pull them into place with pliers....

cheers

Stick em through the hole in the pan then grab them from the other side with a pair of noodle knees pliers. They will streeeeeetch right in place.

The fastest thing for me to get my hands on was the MP reusable pan set P4007572.
I used the pan seal out of the kit and it was simple to install. I had it installed in a couple minutes.
What a difference from the other seal from the Fel-pro timing cover kit.
Not a bad price ether.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Hey now there's an idea.
I wonder why nobody thought of that.

-
Back