Front/rear suspension options?

-

Racer9

Reaction score
Looking at a '71 Dart, no K frame or rear suspension. What's my options? MustangII? Straight tube? Or find a good K frame?
Are torsion bars the way to go, or swap to coils?
Stick to leaf spring rear? Probably use a Ford 9".
Planning a hot 360/727, maybe 400+ hp. Dedicated drag car.

if you're willing to do the leg work you can generally turn up the stock stuff really cheap.

out back, i'd just go stock leaf with a 9. easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

if you want aftermarket, hemi denny is the way to go. top quality product, top quality service.

Thank you. Really trying to keep a low budget, temporary name "Budget Buster" so will seek advice from Hemi Denny.

What purpose are you building the car for?
Driver, cornering a must, drag car, drag & drive ?
Anything aftermarket is probably going to bust a budget lol

Strictly drag car. Yeah I just looked at HemiDenny's stuff, really nice but out of budget.
Guess I'm looking for an A body V8 K frame, or is the motor mount locations the only difference between a slanty and a V8 K frame?
I can move the mounts if that's the only issue.

Strictly drag car. Yeah I just looked at HemiDenny's stuff, really nice but out of budget.
Guess I'm looking for an A body V8 K frame, or is the motor mount locations the only difference between a slanty and a V8 K frame?
I can move the mounts if that's the only issue.
It is very easy to do with the k member, slant 6 torsion bars if you can find a nice set. I would run a front engine plate, that makes it really easy to make some room. I have a big block dart and used a k member with mounts to locate the engine then made mounts for the front plate.
But honestly I didn't need to use a mount to locate the engine. You can also buy or make solid mounts and then weld them to the k-member and remove the factory stuff.
I am in the boat of having to do all my fab, building stuff or else I can't play.
Id gladly help anyway I can
Welcome to fabo by the way

If I understand you correctly, forget about the oem mounts and make a plate bolted to the front of the motor and welded/bolted to the forward frame extensions?
Or connect underneath to the K frame?
Do you use a mid mount, between the motor and trans?
I did plan to move the motor back as much as possible.

If I understand you correctly, forget about the oem mounts and make a plate bolted to the front of the motor and welded/bolted to the forward frame extensions?
Or connect underneath to the K frame?
Do you use a mid mount, between the motor and trans?
I did plan to move the motor back as much as possible.
You could do either, make some mounts to the k member or front engine plate, yes on the mid plate if you do the front engine plate.
I didn't move my engine back so I can't advise on that but you can.

Thank you. Really trying to keep a low budget, temporary name "Budget Buster" so will seek advice from Hemi Denny.
Hemi Denny ain't what I'd call low budget, but he's honest, he sells great products for our cars and he'll give you good advice.

I’ve never done it before but thought about your type of build with a Duster I had.
If you are starting with no suspension whatsoever you could end up spending nearly as much on stock stuff as a HemiDennynor Alter-K-tion.
Stick to stock /6 take-offs and you’ll be in savings. Aftermarket brake kits, big t-bars, adj. control arms….. big $$$.
I would find a /6 suspension. Weld the seems on the K, use light t-bars, maybe splurge on upper control arms with better geometry, and manual steering. Do your motor plates and move the engine to the firewall. Skip the leafs ($$$) and do a 4-link.
You’ll find a lot of stuff that is aftermarket is just a bit more than stock replacement. Sometimes it’s worth it to spend the extra (like bars instead of leafs) but the OE /6 front suspension will fill your front suspension needs. The 4-link kit could even be cheaper than leaf’s too.

Thank you very much for all of that. Sounds like a good plan. I can get a /6 K with the car, so that helps, might even get the bars.
I was going with manual steering just to lessen the load on the motor, ie; more hp to the wheels.
Now to just hunt up some upper a arms and a 4 link kit.
Then some good heads:)

Looking at a '71 Dart, no K frame or rear suspension. What's my options? MustangII? Straight tube? Or find a good K frame?
I'd suggest super stock springs and a stock K frame since it's a "budget" build. If you were are planning on getting in the mid 500+ HP range I'd suggest cal-tracs. After market k frame stuff is nice, but pricey too. As long as you can find stock stuff cheap I'd go that route, if you can't than save your $$ for an aftermarket k frame. Strut front end would be idea, but would take some fab and $$, but not really needed unless you plan on going fast.

Thank you very much for all of that. Sounds like a good plan. I can get a /6 K with the car, so that helps, might even get the bars.
I was going with manual steering just to lessen the load on the motor, ie; more hp to the wheels.
Now to just hunt up some upper a arms and a 4 link kit.
Then some good heads:)
if you can get the slant K with the carcass that's a score for sure, bars are a double plus. if they aren't slant bars (lighter weight) i'm sure somebody will trade theirs for some V8 bars, or you can scoop slant bars pretty cheap.

if they have the K, they might have some other bits and bobs kicking around. get anything and everything you can. and i do mean everything-- all the bolts, pins, clips and whatzits.

if you're okay with drums, you can piece together a front end on a beer budget. if you need discs, the factory 73~76 stuff is very affordable and a capable system. just post up a want ad in the classifieds and i'm sure the stuff will bubble up.

good luck!

Dedicated drag car I'd go with struts up front. Struts are lightweight, don't take up much room and will add value when you sell the car. They do a require a professional install but if you already have a full cage then it shouldn't be too difficult.

I want to thank each and every one of you for your advice and suggestions.
I'm not going to build this Dart. If anyone wants a really nice, clean, very little rust, Dart shell, or needs other parts, and you happen to be near NW Pennsylvania, I can put you in contact with the seller. He is on FB marketplace near Edinboro/Meadville/Erie PA. He also has good doors, a pair with glass, a pair without, and a pair of fiberglass fenders, among other odds and ends.
Basically, once I estimated buying the car, doors, fenders, and putting a suspension under it, I would be upwards of $2500, and still needed to acquire and build a motor and trans, plus all the other assorted parts and pieces.
I found a S-10 drag truck already built for $3500, without the motor and I have a friend that will donate a motor.
Thank you all, best wishes.

-
Back