Front Schumacher mounts won’t clear steering box

-

haywire05

Reaction score
Trying to get my 17 year old sons car back together bought this front end for a good deal and putting a 440 in it with the Schumacher engine mounts but it won’t clear on the driver side past the steering box. Should I be using a different box? I don’t want to shave it down I would have to a ton and don’t think that’s safe or ? I took the top bolt out as the washer in there was massive as well. Am I missing something here? The person before me ground a bit on the clam shell as well. Never saw that when I bought it. The passenger bolts in perfect.

IMG_1544.jpeg

IMG_1543.jpeg

IMG_1541.jpeg

Maybe you could enlighten us on what you're working on? I see a spool mount K frame, but that can actually fit in a lot of things. Maybe a part number for the mount kit?

It’s a 67 dart. With the Schumacher conversion mounts. Not sure of the front end it was disk brake so assuming 72 or later is why I bought it

IMG_1427.jpeg

It’s a 67 dart. With the Schumacher conversion mounts. Not sure of the front end it was disk brake so assuming 72 or later is why I bought it

View attachment 1716226645
If the brakes match the k frame, that would 73 and later, since the first year for spool mounts in the A body was 73. What K frame does it have? Makes me almost wonder if the mount brackets on the k frame were moved and reinstalled in the wrong place, because that appears not to involve the motor mounts, but the steering box and mount stand. Is that what I'm seeing?

It all looks factory to me. Are there numbers on the k frame ? I don’t see any I can get more pics. Are there different steering boxes ?

-
Back