front seat sag

-

MI_Mopar

Reaction score
My 73 swinger's front seat driver side is all saggy and the seat is sorta ripped up. what do i need to do in order to get in back in presentable condition?

Well your gonna need new foam and probally reweld some of the springs. Your foam is over 30 years old and drivers side esp gets the wear. Then you can recover it with a new seat cover. Or do it the chevy way with lots of duct tape!

Got the same problem with my driver set. I redid the set without replacing the springs and it still sags. I put in new dense foam and that didn't work. Replace the springs.

Spring steel doesn't weld very good at all. Once inside the seat you see the factory used strips of steel to strap it together. Upholstery shops have spring material for repairing. A poor man or do it yourselfer like some of us would relocate weak or patched springs to the center of the seat and use those good ones where the driver sits. Another important part of the construction is a piece of burlap like material with small wires running lengthwise through it.
That helps spread the pressure across a span of springs, until those little wires break anyway. That same material can be purchased also and not terribley expensive either.

I had the same problem with my 67 Dart. checked with some of our local upholstery shops and found one that was able to put in a couple of new rods/springs. Did not cost me much. it was worth the investment. The front seat is really nice an comfortable.

Dave

-
Back