Front suspension continues.... Steering centeredness??

-

Kent mosby

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have Qa1 k member, doctordiff front end rebuild kit, PST 1.03 t-bars, viking double adjustable shocks. Ride height set at 1 1/4 inch instead of 1 7/8. I checked the toe-in and it is a 0.00. I will change this when aligning per Skosh. 1973 scamp

I first checked the steering wheel position, lock to lock and found that I was off from center. So I marked the steering wheel so that 12 o'clock was the center and it rotated equally right/left.

My Question is that when I am driving down the street it drives straight, doesn't pull, but the wheel is at about 11:00 o'clock. Is that adjusting the tie-rods or alignment adjustments of UCA bolt? It "looks" like my left tie rod is shorter than the right side by 1/2 inch or more. I am not sure if manufacturing tolerances would indicate or allow measurement to be accurate. I had to remove the tie rods to install the t-bars.

When doing a front end alignment, Ride height is first, Then,, ??? I have looked in the FSM and I could not find a way to check tie rod "centeredness", if that is what it is called. Any instructions that could help instead of trial and error? I could shorten one side tie rod and lengthen the other by the same amount and check that but there must be a better way. ????
Any help appreciated.

You'll center the wheel by adjusting the tie rod lengths. Alignment order is ride height check and adjust, camber / caster (camber is most critical of the two, for tire wear - caster will not wear tires), then center the steering wheel, adjust toe.

You'll center the wheel by adjusting the tie rod lengths. Alignment order is ride height check and adjust, camber / caster (camber is most critical of the two, for tire wear - caster will not wear tires), then center the steering wheel, adjust toe.
Thanks, I will equal the lengths and go from there. Tomorrow align

It will not be unusual to end with those tie rod assemblies at unequal lengths - just keep that in mind. They probably won't be "miles" different, but don't beat yourself up trying to figure out why they aren't.

I got it to within a 10 degrees or so. I will do the alignment in order and then double check everything this week. Thanks for the help

I not really familiar with how much adjustment is there but just be sure when you lengthen one side that you have enough threads left in the sleeve to be safe.

The only other issue--and this is abnormal--is if someone has destroyed the "key spline." The pitman is keyed to the box, and the column is keyed to the wheel, unless they have been "modified"

-
Back