Front suspension ideas?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Getting ready to bundle up my front suspension bits and pieces and K-frame and haul them off to the powder coater.
Any suggestions on color for suspension bits? Rear suspension (diff, springs and shackles, driveshaft and trans) are going to be Rustoleum White. Not sure if white will attract too much dust and dirt up front. Pictures of your setup would be nice in addition to comments and suggestions.
Car will be Winchester Gray, underside is Rustoleum Battleship Gray and wheel wells are undercoated.

I like everything on the underside to be semi-gloss black. Basically, I don't want any attention drawn to it. I was in my late-teens-early-20s when a lot of guys were painting the rear ends yellow...Thought that looked pretty stupid...

I have a handy Mopar Chassis Color Chart I use all the time. Sadly I can't seem to grab the link here on my phone but you can find it on the FBBO site under the "Paint Colors For Front Suspension" thread at my Post #6 from February 6, 2014. Wish I could be more help with the link -- sorry.

I'll master this new phone yet lol ...

I like everything on the underside to be semi-gloss black. Basically, I don't want any attention drawn to it. I was in my late-teens-early-20s when a lot of guys were painting the rear ends yellow...Thought that looked pretty stupid...

Yeah, yellow would be....awkward.
White really looks good from the car behind you......:burnout:

I have a handy Mopar Chassis Color Chart I use all the time. Sadly I can't seem to grab the link here on my phone but you can find it on the FBBO site under the "Paint Colors For Front Suspension" thread at my Post #6 from February 6, 2014. Wish I could be more help with the link -- sorry.

I'll master this new phone yet lol ...

Thanks...will check it out!:D

My Scamp has powder coated front suspension, trans crossmember, hangers. Every other part is powder in: Reflective black and Silver. The silver must be clear coated or it will tarnish. Looks great, does not attract dirt and cleans up fast. IMO one color does not let anything show proud. Things kinda get lost and flat colors attract dirt. Hope this helps. I'm super happy with mine. Later, Tom

Getting ready to bundle up my front suspension bits and pieces and K-frame and haul them off to the powder coater.
Any suggestions on color for suspension bits? Rear suspension (diff, springs and shackles, driveshaft and trans) are going to be Rustoleum White. Not sure if white will attract too much dust and dirt up front....

To be consistent it seems that the UCA, LCA, and TBs would be white. The K-frame would be gloss or semi-flat black. Questions to consider: Where does it end? Do you paint the steering linkage, LBJ, and backing plates white? some other color? at all?

If it were me, I would not paint the springs, especially if I plan to keep the car a while. The springs flex along their length which can crack the paint in one place and allow moisture (and rust) to collect in another.

To be consistent it seems that the UCA, LCA, and TBs would be white. The K-frame would be gloss or semi-flat black. Questions to consider: Where does it end? Do you paint the steering linkage, LBJ, and backing plates white? some other color? at all?

If it were me, I would not paint the springs, especially if I plan to keep the car a while. The springs flex along their length which can crack the paint in one place and allow moisture (and rust) to collect in another.

Amen to that last paragraph especially with respect to leaf springs. Coil springs are fine. Powder is much more flexible than paint.

I would NOT recommend powder coating leaf springs. Over time, friction and flex will damage the finish to the point that there will be sloppiness between the leaves. Moreover, springs have Delrin liners in between each leaf which will not survive the heat of outgassing or powder cure; to do them properly, they should be completely disassembled with each component coated separately. New Delrin liners should be installed as well.

-
Back