Front Suspension Upgrade...

-

tubbedamx

Location Boise, Idaho
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered many times but I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

I have an 67 notchback barracuda with the five on four front-end. I just purchased what I believe to be the front suspension off a 73 scamp" Upper/lower control arms, spindles, all the disc brake stuff".

I just noticed yesterday the "73 scamp" lower control arms take a bigger torsion bar then 67 cuda.

So can i use the 67 barracuda lower control arms and torsion bars, 73 scamp upper control arms and spindles?? Then will there be any steering issues?? If this combonation works do I order 73 scamp upper control arm bushings and upper ball joint, then 67 cuda lower control arm bushings...

Does anybody sell a front-end kit with this swap already in mind??
Thanks for your help??
Jim

all a body torsion bars are the same. i used 74 dart torsion bars in my 65 barracuda with out changing the lower control arm. the diameter (spring rate) is different, but that's because i went from /6 torsion bars to HP V8 springs (.890)

UCA & LCA bushings are also the same across the years. differences come into play with ball joints/idler arms and centerlink lengths/directionality and angles.

sb

This barracuda is a factory 273 v8 car... I can take the cuda torsion bars and try to put them into the what I believe the 73 scamp lower control arms and the torsion bar is to little....

Uh something don't sound right. ALL Mopar torsion bars should have 1.25" hex ends. All of them. (well not the silly F,M,J Body bent ones) ALL A-Body bars are 35.8" long. The last 3 of the part number should be on the bar ends should tell you what you have:
2535888L/889R = .830 Slant 6 Bars
2535890L/891R = .850 Base V-8 Bars
2535892L/893R = .870 HD V-8 (340) Bars
2535894L/895R = .890 Big Block Bars

All A-Body lower control arms are interchangeable.

I might have a spare set of .850 bars around somewhere.

To swap on the disks, you just need to swap the upper arms and the spindles. Assuming what you got was indeed 73 Scamp parts...

Thanks for the info...I know the barracuda is original as far as its suspension pieces...I guess I just need to verify what I bought...

How would I tell if the supposed "73 scamp" parts are a-body control arms...More importantly the upper control arms. I guess I could put them up to the car and see if they fit...

PM me, I'd be happy to take a look if you'd like. I'm in the north end of Boise.

You can use your stock lower control arms from your barracuda, you don't need the 73 arms to do the conversion.

bb66cuda said:
You can use your stock lower control arms from your barracuda, you don't need the 73 arms to do the conversion.

Thanks that is good information....I didn't know that.

So you must need the upper control arm, upper ball joint the in my case disc brake spindle and so on...

tubbedamx said:
Thanks that is good information....I didn't know that.

So you must need the upper control arm, upper ball joint the in my case disc brake spindle and so on...

Yes, you will need all those parts. The lower control arms from your car are the only things you would keep the same.

-
Back