Front tire clearance : what rim / BS on a 1970 Duster?

-

Nico383

Reaction score
Car is a 1970 Duster with a 383, 1" torsion bars and pst sway bar.

Hi,
The rim I run on the duster have been given to me by a friend, they were on a 1971 Cuda before and guess what, I have a clearance issue with the front wheels hitting the rear part of the wheel well.

I had a look to whats written on the rim to know their specs but I'm not sure to understand.
I measured the backspace but I can't link the value I found to what I read. Could you help and tell me if I need to order two rims with more backspace at the front?

Front wheels specs:
FullSizeRender_zps2pch4fh7.jpg

Front wheel BS measurement : 103mm => approx 4in
IMG_1239_zps0kj5vhyu.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsvofy2ltr.jpg

Rear wheels Specs :
FullSizeRender%201_zps93ckfyvv.jpg

10.3 cm = 4"
Your rim width is 8" according to the cast-in numbers.
Yeah, you need more B.S. but I can't help much. Anybody with direct experience?

I hate to the bearer of bad news but 15x8" wheels are very tricky to run on the front of our cars. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you're going to have fender clearance issues or at the least, look kinda funky.

Starting with a known size, 15x7, 4.25" backspcace(wheels that a lot of folks run on the fronts of these cars), the ones you've got there would stick out .75" farther, not accounting for tires. If you went from a 215/60/15 on a 7" rim to a 235/60/15 on the new 8" wheels, you'd be over an inch closer to the fender. You'll likely have contact at the corners when steering, if not the fender lip itself.

This tool is really helpful, assuming you know what already works (as a starting point).

Wheel-Tire size comparer - RIMSnTIRES.com

I hate to the bearer of bad news but 15x8" wheels are very tricky to run on the front of our cars. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you're going to have fender clearance issues or at the least, look kinda funky.

Starting with a known size, 15x7, 4.25" backspcace(wheels that a lot of folks run on the fronts of these cars), the ones you've got there would stick out .75" farther, not accounting for tires. If you went from a 215/60/15 on a 7" rim to a 235/60/15 on the new 8" wheels, you'd be over an inch closer to the fender. You'll likely have contact at the corners when steering, if not the fender lip itself.

This tool is really helpful, assuming you know what already works (as a starting point).

Wheel-Tire size comparer - RIMSnTIRES.com

All right!
Thanks for the info. And if I order a pair of 15*7 rims with 4.25" backspace, will I be able to stick my 225/60/15 tires on them?

Last edited:
All right!
Thanks for the info. And if I order a pair of 15*7 rims with 4.25" backspace, will I be able to stick my 225/60/15 tires on them?

Yes. I'm 99.99999% sure you'd be totally fine with that combo. I only hesitate because I bought my reproduction 15x7 rally wheels back in 1999 or 2000 and I can't promise that the offsets were perfect and I'd hate to pass that along as fact.

Can anyone else verify this?

The Specs tab on Coker Tire's rally repros seems to be blank. Assuming this is even a style that you're interested in, I'm sure they could verify fitment on stock suspension with a stock wheel style if you give them a call.

Mopar Rallye Wheels | Chrysler Rallye Wheels

-
Back