front tire size

-

wedgie

Reaction score
I have nearly completed the swap to disk brakes and the 4 1/2" bolt circle on my '65 Dart. What is the tallest 70 series tire that I can run on the street without any problems. The wheel well is pretty small.

What size rims, 14x6. 15x7? that makes a little difference......

I am using 14x 5.5, rims, and 205/70/r14 tires, no problem,
215/70r 14 should be fine.....also.

I have nearly completed the swap to disk brakes and the 4 1/2" bolt circle on my '65 Dart. What is the tallest 70 series tire that I can run on the street without any problems. The wheel well is pretty small.

I like the 195 70 better on pree 67 A-body 205 should work though. No one makes a 215/14 anymore.

i run a 205/60/15 on a 15 x 5.5 wheel. I like them.

these are 205 60 15s, 4 1/2 backspace on a 7" rim. they just barely clear the front edge of the fender. they are 24.7" o.d.

cuda with tires.JPG

205/70-14's all the way around on my 65.

215/70-14's start getting tight on a early A-body..

Picture 204.jpg

i run a 205/60/15 on a 15 x 5.5 wheel. I like them.

Are those 5.5 wide on your car in this picture? If i go with any rim smaller then a 17", i cant have more then 3" of backspace, if i want it to clear the fender and other suspension pieces (with the alterktion). So a 15 or 16 inch rim cant be too wide (a 5.5 wide rim just might be right).

5.5 in the front is best with 3" bs. the rear 15x7 with approp. bs
I am hoping for 255 50 15 for the rear with the offset kit and 4.5bs

i ran a 245/60/14 in the fromt before wih no problem

runa 225/50/17 there now.
also run a 165/80/15 at the track.

215/65-15 on 8" rims is working nicely for me. Absolutely the largest possible tire that will fit without rubbing anywhere, and still have enough sidewall to drive fairly smooth. The 205's on there when I got the car were far too grabby and harsh for my taste.

Well, I decided to section and stretch the front half of the wheel opening. I moved it 4 inches (see attachments). This puts the wheel exactly in the center of the opening and easily allows a tire as large as 30". The right side is going to be more involved as the fender is pretty rough. Anyone have a good right fender for a '65 Dart?

right fender stretched.jpg

inside view after rework.jpg

outside view after rework.jpg

running 215/70/14's on the front on 14x6 wheels with 4" backspace and i had to clearance the fenders just a hair, wasn't rubbing but was too close for my tastes. fills out the wheelwells nice though.
-tim

The fenders have been installed after "stretching". Tire diameter is practically unlimited now. The rear will now accept 295/50X 15 without any problem. The tire/ wheel combination that you see in the front was the tallest that I could run before the rework.

fender 001.jpg

fender 002.jpg

The fenders have been installed after "stretching". Tire diameter is practically unlimited now. The rear will now accept 295/50X 15 without any problem. The tire/ wheel combination that you see in the front was the tallest that I could run before the rework.

What have you done in the rear to fit that size tire? What is your rear end width & wheel size/backspacing? I think I could fit a 275/60 15 in the back of my car with the offset spring kit & EXACTLY the right backspacing, but it would be TIGHT. Summit says the 295/50 has a section width of 12.2". I would love to have a tire that wide on my car, but mini tubs are out of the question for me so I think that would be a no-go on my car. Of course, mine's a Plymouth so, there's probably some difference in the wheelwell size on the back. Plus, with the serious work you did on the front fenders, you've probably made a few mods on the back, too.

The springs have been relocated into the longitudinals (frame rails). The inner wheel wells have been cut out and replaced with reproduction Chevy/GMC pickup rear wheel well reproductions (cut to size) and moved inward to the frame rails. The 8 3/4 was a "B" body unit that Moser engineering shortened, backbraced, and made alloy axles for.

The springs have been relocated into the longitudinals (frame rails). The inner wheel wells have been cut out and replaced with reproduction Chevy/GMC pickup rear wheel well reproductions (cut to size) and moved inward to the frame rails. The 8 3/4 was a "B" body unit that Moser engineering shortened, backbraced, and made alloy axles for.

Just my luck! My dreams of fat meats in the rear dashed to the ground & shattered into a million pieces! LOL I think I'll just stick to trying to stuff the 275/60s into the back of my car. I don't want to tub the car because I want to keep the rear storage area & fold down back seat.

'64 Cuda I use offset shackles and hangers on my 65 Valiant and I can fit a 265/60 15...its a tight fit. That car has a C-body axle that was narrowed so the 15x8.5 Torque Thrust D's would fit. The same fit could be accomplished with custom offset wheels, a stock A-body axle and offset shackles and hangers.

After painting (no chrome installed yet) I mocked up a pair of 205-75X15 tires on some old trailer wheels. You can see from the pic that there is a lot of room. These tires are 27.1" in diameter.

paint 005.jpg

A couple of pics of my mockup progress. The wagon wheels and tires are the right size for mockup and I had them laying around. Big wheels and tires sure make a difference in the appearance.

paint 001.jpg

paint 004.jpg

Has anyone put 16"x 7" rims on a 63-65 Barracuda or Valiant? I am making the swap to 8-3/4 LBS rear and '74 Valiant disk brakes. Now I need to get new wheels. What fits a '64 Valiant without further modification? I like the large Torque Thrust - low profile tire look. Backspace and tire size combos you are running would be great.....Any help is much appreciated.

I had 16x8's on my 66 Barracuda. They didn't fit because of the later A-body spindle(73-76?) widens your front track. If you keep the stock spindle and use a Wilwood kit like wedgie has it should work.

-
Back