front tires hitting

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
My 180/60/15 are hitting front frender, could wheel alignment cause this?

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 416
  • fish2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 399
No, a wheel alignment wont help that.
It does need a wheel alignment anyway though, as the right front looks like it has a pretty good amount of positive camber.
A lot of the problem looks like a large amount of offset causing the wheel to be too far out so it doesn't tuck into the fender well during a turn.

No, a wheel alignment wont help that.
It does need a wheel alignment anyway though, as the right front looks like it has a pretty good amount of positive camber.
A lot of the problem looks like a large amount of offset causing the wheel to be too far out so it doesn't tuck into the fender well during a turn.

Looks more negative than anything.

I'm sure you meant negative. Negative camber leans the top of the wheel in towards the center of the car.

Your caster is off considerably. That wheel sits way too far forward. Look for bent parts - rust flaking, paint cracked or peeling, etc... I should also say the camber is off because the way the wheels tilt.

Looks more negative than anything.

I'm sure you meant negative. Negative camber leans the top of the wheel in towards the center of the car.

Yep, I always say positive when I mean negative, thank you. :D

/ \ = Negative

Got it.

I don't think it's too far forward, just out too far from the looks of it.
(backspacing)

agreed the wheels are way forward caster is off and camber is off - both considerably!

Your caster is off considerably. That wheel sits way too far forward. Look for bent parts - rust flaking, paint cracked or peeling, etc... I should also say the camber is off because the way the wheels tilt.

turn the the front cam bolt on the control arm all the way to the outside of the car and the rear cam bolt all the way to the center of the car. this will bring the upper ball joint back and bring the wheel farther back in the wheel well. you will need it aligned anyways. looks like a tall tire with the wrong size backspace on the wheel. if you can get it close and it just barely touches the lower front lip on turn in then you can trim the inside lip a bit. then if that still dont get you there then you can run a little longer lower fender brace and push the lower fender lip out just a pit. did this on my car. I pushed my lower fender corner out 1/2" and you cant even tell.

If the car was rolled backwards and then the picture was taken that is why the Caster looks so far off. It probably is not as bad as it looks. Is the Engine in the car??

yes, engine is in.
First pic is the front bolt, Second is the back.

Attachments

• frontbolt.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 359
  • backbolt.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 362
front out, rear in.
I found that a level on the rotor surface to keep the rotor straight up and down but the upper ball joint as far back as the adjustment of the cam bolts will allow gives a pretty good starting point.

Your ride height getting dropped down,a fricken BUNCH!, will also move the tire back. You shouldnt have any problem getting those to squeeze by the fender.

good point the ride height is well off also. The bottom of the fender is on the peak if the tire where it should be below.

Attachments

• bumper heights 1965 through 1974 cars (10).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 298
The car was designed for 14inch front tires, and putting tall 15in tires on it is gonna take some mods to make it work

Thank you all, the alignment is much closer now. I was able to pull it around back and wash it.

Attachments

• mf4.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 243
  • mf1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 267
-
Back