Front Tires Rub!!

-

68SRVIVR

Rick/'68 Barracuda 340-S
Reaction score
Just got new tires/ Cragars from newstalgia.
When I turn front wheel, it hits fender lip!
BFG RADIAL TA front:P215/65R15 wheel:15x6
back: P255/60R15 wheel:15x8

Recently installed new leafs springs and KYB shocks
which raised car.
Can this be fixed by lowering torsion bar
or do I need a smaller tire on front?

Thanks in advance for help.
-Rick

CIMG1198.jpg

CIMG1199.jpg

CIMG1200.jpg

CIMG1201.jpg

CIMG1204[1].jpg

CIMG1205[4].jpg

CIMG1206[1].jpg

You can try raising or lowering the T-bar.....but I think you need a smaller tire. I was in those shoes before with the first set of tires I bought for my Duster. Hopefully you know the tire shop and they will take em back. I got lucky with that.

I'm trying to remember what size tires I ran with my 6" rims.....I wanna say they were 205/75.......I'm running 4" rims now and I switched a while ago.

Thanks.
Any size suggestions? I want to stay with BFG TA if possible.

There are two issues there. One is the tire has too much diameter. Second the rims I bet don't have much backspacing.

What are the backspacing of those rims?

225/60/15 with 15x7 rallyes with 4.25 backspacing will fit that car. Some older style aftermarket rims are 3.75 backspacing, which shoves the rim and tire outward toward the front bottom edge lip.

How much to they rub?

Do they rub with the car standing still just moving the steering wheel end to end?

Stock tire was about 25.4" tall

215-65-15 = 26" (to big)
205-65-15 = 25.49" (best bet)
215-60-15 = 25.16" (just a tad short but wider and will fit)

225-60-15 = 25.63" (If you have the wheel for it)

Its backspacing and ride height thats the problem. I ran a bunch of tires on the front of mine and never had a problem all were on a 15X5.5" rim.
175-75-15
205-70-15
215-60-15
215-75-15 all fit the front of my 69 Barracuda. Heres a picture of the 215-75-15s

Picture_003.jpg

Stock tire was about 25.4" tall

215-65-15 = 26" (to big)
205-65-15 = 25.49" (best bet)
215-60-15 = 25.16" (just a tad short but wider and will fit)

225-60-15 = 25.63" (If you have the wheel for it)

What rim width and backspace for each of those combos? That makes a big difference.

So, you ran the same 15x6 Cragar rims and backspacing as he has on the green car?

The wheels he has are "NEW" as stated in his post. The Cragar SS only comes in 2 offsets (non reverse as can be seen in his photo) in the 15x6.

3 1/2" or 3 3/8"

My tire sizes are good for both.

Any thing else you want to cry about Jack @ss.

The wheels he has are "NEW" as stated in his post. The Cragar SS only comes in 2 offsets in the 15x6.

3 1/2" or 3 3/8"

My tire sizes are good for both.

Any thing else you want to cry about Jack @ss.

Hey, Hey calm down a bit...

Just trying to help this guy out. To make sure we are comparing apples to apples. You didn't say you had the same exact Cragar rims. And for others that are reading this may not have Cragar SS's but another rim with the same exact dimensions with rim diameter, width, and backspacing (or offset). Your valuable info could help those others out too.

Lets take a deep breath here please. That remark was uncalled for.

15x6 front cragar with 3.375" backspacing.
Yes, they catch the bottom of lip moulding
when standing still and turning wheel.

Is the moulding wider then the lip on the fender ? Would it hit without the moulding on it ?

Would still hit.
Newstalgia Wheel wiil make good on the problem.
They think I should try dropping the front about 1 1/2".

-Rick

Thats what I would do first, Play with the ride height. JUst remember it will change your alignment a bit.

Sorry for being so hasty on my rant. I also miss quoted the stock tire height. I just saw your car is a Formula S and would have came with an E70-14 @ 25.7" tall.

http://store.coker.com/product.php?productid=17752&cat=0&page=1
(thats the tire I run and is very close -.3" from your tire height)

But after looking here I think he may be stuck with the same choices.

http://www.sstire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3&Itemid=15

From your pictures it looks like the (horizontally widest) part of the tire is in direct line with the closest part of the fender.

One option is to adjust the front ride height up or down to gain more space (tire horizontally narrows as you move up and down from center).

Another option is a narrower, shorter or both tire which will reduce the ark that outside edge makes.

Assuming you don't want to get new wheels (which you don't need to do).

Pic of my car with E70-14s a 25.7" tire on BBP 14x6 or 5.5 wheels. I can't remember.

Hard to tell from the pic but my wheel/tire combo sits more inside the wheel well than your Cragers do, and I have 0" of gap between the top of the tire and upper fender lip.

IM000997.JPG

IM000996.JPG

Looks like following 1968FormulaS340's advice using the 215/60/15 tires would do the trick. He got it to work with the same rims you have.

Lowering you front 1 1/2" is quite a bit.

Thanks for all the info.
I think I'll try lowering front.
If that doesn't help, I guess I will have to go for a smaller tire.
The backspacing is definitely pushing wheel out more, but
that is the only size offered with 5x4" bollt pattern and I want to
keep wheels.
Thanks, Rick

-
Back