Front to Rear Wheel alignment

-

ron john

Reaction score
My ;72 Swinger Rear Housing Measures about 1/12 inches closer on the passenger side of the fender well than on the drivers side, Is this Normal?, The car drives fine, It tracks fine when you release the wheel, But if you follow behind it you can see a slight off-set in the Rear?, Any
Ideals? p.s. The Car has a 7 3/4 Rear?

I'm sure you didn't mean 1/12" What is the actual figure?

That is a fair amount. Any evidence the car was wrecked? What sort of shape are the springs and bushings? Try "lunging" the car side to side and see if it returns to the same measurement, and make sure the car is level, not sitting on a crowned street.

There's some factory tolerance, but i agree, that's alot. Are you measuring the housing end with a plumb bob hanging from the fender or measuring tire to fender clearance. Possible different offset wheels?

V8 car, what brakes on the front? My Dart Sport was narrower on the rear than on the front until I swapped the B body rear in.

Measure the width outside of tires on the front then the rear and see if it isn't wider on the front. Get someone to help and put a straight edge across each tire and run a tape across.

V8 car, what brakes on the front? My Dart Sport was narrower on the rear than on the front until I swapped the B body rear in.

Measure the width outside of tires on the front then the rear and see if it isn't wider on the front. Get someone to help and put a straight edge across each tire and run a tape across.

i wasnt thinking track width of the front compared to the track width of the rear, if thats the case then yes it is normal. i thought he meant one side was off 1 1/2 " to one side....

7 3/4 rear?

My ;72 Swinger Rear Housing Measures about 1/12 inches closer on the passenger side of the fender well than on the drivers side, Is this Normal?, The car drives fine, It tracks fine when you release the wheel, But if you follow behind it you can see a slight off-set in the Rear?, Any
Ideals? p.s. The Car has a 7 3/4 Rear?

:poke:

After all that above, are you saying the axel is off to one side by 1 ½ inches meaning it is ¾ inches off center, or axel is not 90 degrees to center line of car, and is cocked at an angle causing the car to crab when going down the road?

Measuring to body panels is not a practically precise way to determine drive line and other structural part’s positions, after a fender bender those body panels can be anywhere. The only way to check dimensions and positions of parts is from known frame points found in FSM, and plotted out on level floor using a plum bob to project them to the floor.

Most Mopar drive trains are off set from center line by an inch or to the right, but rear axle should center up to frame rails. In other words one axel shaft, driver’s side, will be a bit longer than the other. If you have a B Body or other longer axel that has been shortened to fit it may or may not have been done correctly, or spring perches may have been incorrectly located. You need to get under the car with ruler & plump bop, and make a few measurements.

Hey Guys, Found My Problem, It Appears that I have a different off/set wheel on that side!, Thanks for the replys!!:blob:

There's some factory tolerance, but i agree, that's alot. Are you measuring the housing end with a plumb bob hanging from the fender or measuring tire to fender clearance. Possible different offset wheels?

What do i win LOL. Seriously glad you found the issue:D.

-
Back