frustrated

-
It appears I caught mine in time. Filter caught all the crap and I'm only missing about .020 off the top. If drgr hadn't posted, I might not have even broke the engine down, just re-adjusted the valve and kept cruising till it got noisey again. Damn it! I'm sick to my stomach (Or maybe it's the pot of coffee I drank in the two hours I broke the engine down in).

Screw it, I'm gonna get a Lunati or Hughes this time around.

cam web.JPG

also has 190 lbs seat presure at 2 inch installed hight on the valve springs just as they are suppose to be

the valve spring might have been set up correctly but probably the wrong valve spring for the cam...

pretty stiff springs for a solid lifter cam....that is more like springs for a roller cam...

seat pressure should have been around 130/140 lbls.

It appears I caught mine in time. Filter caught all the crap and I'm only missing about .020 off the top. If drgr hadn't posted, I might not have even broke the engine down, just re-adjusted the valve and kept cruising till it got noisey again. Damn it! I'm sick to my stomach (Or maybe it's the pot of coffee I drank in the two hours I broke the engine down in).

Screw it, I'm gonna get a Lunati or Hughes this time around.

Sorry to hear and see the bad news. Is that a Crane that is in there now? Will you tear it down or just install a new cam?

Sorry to hear and see the bad news. Is that a Crane that is in there now? Will you tear it down or just install a new cam?

It's a Crane. I'm running 65+ psi at 1000rpm so I'm sure the bearings/oil pump are fine but I'll double check them when I drop the pan as well as the oil pump. It's in a truck so the pan can be removed with the engine in. The oil is spotless and nothing came up in the oil when I drained it and ran a magnet through it. Looks like the filter snagged it all. Thank goodness I caught it in time.

yes i miss posted seat presure it is set up at 130 psi the springs are the correct one that mp recommended with thecam ,rmchr im glad you caught yours in time

Thank you drgr. If I hadn't seen your post on the same day that I was diagnosing the tick, I may have just reajusted and ran it anyway with severe engine damage being the result.

Although I couldn't work on my car this weekend (Don't ask why.... I'M not even sure) but I must say, I'm getting sweaty palms and the hair is starting to stand up on my neck reading these posts. Sorry to hear about the nightmare you unearthed Joe.

I'm planning on breaking in my engine on Joe Gibbs racing oil. From what I read, it *should* be all I need. Maybe I'll throw in a bottle of Comp Cams additive too....

-
Back