Frustrated

-

72plymouthscamp

FOOSE ME
Reaction score
Ok guys here is my set up, 318 .040 over kb167 flat tops, mildly ported 302 heads also milled about .025, intake is a wieand stealth with a holley 670 street avenger,msd ignition spark box distributor etc.. Cam is a mopar purple shaft .508 lift 292 dur. 108 CL. I have hooker competition headers 3in mandrel bent exhaust dumped at the axle, 727TF 3200 stall converter, 8 1/4 rear end 2.94SG. I also have a 3in inboard spring set up with s/s springs, adjustable pinion snubber. Rear tires are about 26in tall with all this being said. The damn thing wont even bust the tires loose!:angry7: Any ideas on what I should do!!!!

I think the 2.94 gears are the problem. Need to gear a little lower to get the power to the wheels. The 2.94s are great for cruising but not much on the start.

What cam and tires are you running??
And the 2.94 gear ain't helping matters.

I forgot to post the cam specs, Its a mopar purple cam .508 292 108CL tires are kelly chargers for now. I know the gear is part of the problem, could it be timing issue?

Well lets see….. SS springs, sure grip and a pinion snubber (all designed to improve traction)….. So are you complaining that your suspension mods are working correctly? Im confused.

Try some stock springs, remove the pinion snubber, get some 155-80-15s and go with an open rear end. That should fix everything.

Well with evrything I have done to the car it should at least bust the tires loose! Why is it everytime I post a question someone has to be a smartass??? I dont get it I really dont.

I forgot to post the cam specs, Its a mopar purple cam .508 292 108CL tires are kelly chargers for now. I know the gear is part of the problem, could it be timing issue?

is that cam 292 advertised duration, or 292 @ .050?
If so, cam MIGHT be too big, and the gears might be a little high.

Does it stall where it's supposed to?

Im not being a smart ***. You made mods to improve traction and your car is getting traction. Its the same painting a car green then asking "Why is me car green?".

What initial timing do you have it set?

It needs to be in the 20-24 range is my guess.

Intial is about 14 -16 degrees if I back it down to 12 or 10 it has a hard time running at idle then I have to bump the idle screw up. It also has a hard time starting at 10 or 12 degrees

9" tire too……. I know you don't like what I am saying but you have set your car up so that it hooks and it hooks.

Get more power so you over ride your mods or start removing your traction aids.

To much cam, not a low enough gear. Your convertor could be an issue as well. You say its a "3200" stall, but my experiance has been its better to pick them by diamater as well. Like a 9 1/2 3200 ect. If yours is a stock size unit that is modified for a higher stall speed, you need to toss it and get a good unit. What brand and size do you have now?

Not enough initial is my guess. Bump initial timing up until the engine stops picking up rpm while keeping idle speed constant.

twist in 2* more, reset idle speed and keep doing that. There will be a point that it won't pick up anymore. That's where you want initial set as long as the car will start when hot.

It's a big cam, gotta do what needs to be done to run best.

318s don't have a lot of torque, and torque is what you need to bust the tires loose. With a stock stroke 318, an automatic trans, a sure grip, ss springs, and a pinion snubber, that 318 is gonna struggle to do what you want it too. You may simply be hooking up more than you expected to.
When you punch it, does it throw you back in the seat?
Do you have a set of skinnier tires you can throw on just to see what happens?

Well my compression is about 10.5:1 I have suufecient fuel and it breaths decent so if its making horsepower then its making torque correct? I know the car is making power

Does the engine have torque strap?

That will transfer some more power to the drivetrain and relieve some engine twist on acceleration.

I have some of the same issues with my 4 speed, 360, sure grip 3.23 gears, ss springs, pinion snub, and wide, sticky composition tires.

I built the car to hook and it freaking hooks.

I can break the tires loose but I have not been able to do a decent burnout and I think some of my problem is too wimpy of a clutch because I get some clutch slippage if I try to break the tires loose side stepping the clutch.

In your case, yes a larger gear set will help, but you may be hooking so well with your combo that you may need to install a line- lock so you can do some burnouts.
Those ss springs, and pinion snub's sure like to plant the tires don't they?

Jegs sells a very complete line loc kit for a decent price.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63002/10002/-1

I don't think 68 was trying to be a smart ***, just being blunt and to the point.

From what you have said, I would guess that the car pulls good at higher speeds, right?

-
Back