Ft Sway Bar bushing - R&R

-

Geo4K

Just your average Gearhead.
Reaction score
I have disassembled my front end and am cleaning all the componets before putting it all back together... Looking at my (OEM 7/8") sway bar and the bushings (and the bracket too) I wondered if there were any slick tips out there for getting those old bushings out and off, and then back on for reassembly?

There are some young kids in the neighborhood and I rather not cause any stress on them or their parents with some salty garage talk should I become overly frustrated with the process as they walk by - so, I'm asking here first. I haven't done a lot of this so have very little experience on tricks of the trade.

Assuming your talking the ones mounted to k frame, my actual bushings were split on one side to allow them to come off and go back on. Mine were already removed when I bought the car.

Yeah - I was thinking that I could get the old ones out by nearly any means and then take the brackets off easily - soak in EvapoRust, paint and be ready for reassembly.

I am mainly concerned with the re-installation of the new bushings. Getting them over the flat tabs at the end of the sway bar and then around the bends shouldn't be too much work, wondered if getting them back into the brackets would be a PITA.

Attachments

• The Dart sway bar.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 128
There are two bolts that attach the bushing brackets to the K frame adapters. Pull those two bolts and just pry the brackets off the bushings and pull the bushings off the sway bar. When I installed mine I had the weight on the wheels which allowed me to push the bar up into position and I pushed the brackets as far as I could by hand on the bushing, then pulled them the rest of the way with the mount bolts. With the front end supported the way you have it the sway bar may be a little ticked and might want to kick down on you due to the lcas being full down so be careful. It may also make it harder to put the bar back up in position.

Thanks - maybe I'll wait until the car is back on the ground to put the sway bar back in then.

Well lubed you can push the new ones on over the eyes. Get 2 small wood strips and place on either side of the bushing/bracket and squeeze with c-clamps or equivalent and they will pop in. I did it with the bar sitting on the work bench and never cut the bracket or bushing to assist in re-assembly.

-
Back