Fuel cell / Exhaust issue

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I guess this could be posted in exhaust or fuel.
I have a 66 Dart that I am making changes to and I ran into a roadblock and would like to see what others have done and pics of your solutions if possible. Im sure I am not the first person to run into this. So here it is;
I have moved my springs in to create wheel/tire clearance. I would like to stay with the factory fuel tank and spare tire well. However since I am going to 3" exhaust i have no room to get past the fuel tank or tire well. I should probably say I am using 3" exhaust because this will be a 408. The system is TTI headers and their x-pipe. I have posted about this in the exhaust forum a few months back. I was going to use a 90* at the end of the x-pipe and bring the exhaust out the sides in front of the rear tires, however I also have added frame connectors and they block the exhaust from coming to the side unless I run the exhaust under the connectors. This would have the exhaust hanging to low. So the first part of my question is has anyone else worked around this with any good solution to exit on the side?

Now the second part of the question seems to be the way I will be forced to go. That is to remove the spare tire well, remove the tank, install new sheet metal and install a fuel cell. This is why I have issues with going this route. First I dont want to be without a spare tire and with a tire and cell in the trunk there not much room for other things such as golf clubs! (no im not giving up golf and this will be used to drive to golf course!) 2nd is I dont want to have to fill the fuel from inside the trunk. I know I can get a neck adaptor but they arent cheap and the last issue would be I need to buy a cell with a fuel gauge in it. So let me hear what others have done and how you worked around this. Also I would like to see some pics of your fuel cell in trunk and underside with exhaust.
Thanks
Rod

You can put in new sheet metal floor in the trunk and then drop the fuel cell through the new floor so that it hangs under the car in about the center and have space to run the pipes on either side. Don't use a poly tank for this; use a metal container tank. Add a light stone shield on the front and some heat baffles on the sides and the fuel cell will be good. You might even be able to turn the cell with the long dimension front-to-rear and offset it a bit to one side for better space management.

The tank filler will be in the trunk; there are extensions and fender fillers you can use. Don't use a Monza flip top type; they have a bad habit of popping open in wrecks. I personally would put the filler in a metal tube from the fender to the top for protection. I would also put a metal shield over the fuel line out of the cell and any fuel pump in the area; good racing practice is to always have a complete metal shield between the interior space and any components carrying fuel.

With the cell dropped under the floor, you can still stuff in a spare and your clubs. Here is the general idea: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1311_1968_dodge_dart/photo_10.html

There are also some spare-tire-well-shaped cells around....

I have a Dart but...

I didn't do it for the same reason as you need to do it, but I ran my 2.5 pipe under the connector and the angled it up towards the body edge so it would basically go under ,up and out if you can picture that.
Then I cut the tips at the same angles as the body forward to back and up and down so it created an interesing bologna cut tip.
I'll see if I can find a decent pic of it and post it.

Found one but I had to lighten the pic quite a bit so you could see the pipe clearly.
They are not as noticable in normal light (second pic)

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 191
  • pipe2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 182
Have you thought about using oval tubing to go under the frame connectors??? I personally haven't done this, but I have been thinking about it for awhile. I like the look of the exhaust of the AAR Cuda's exiting in front of the rear tires.

Contact
http://hotrodcitygarage.com/tanks.html
I called them a while back. Said they could shorten the tank and make it deeper to get the capacity back up....not exactly low buck but may cost less than getting a metal fuel cell and removing the tire well etc....

Have you thought about using oval tubing to go under the frame connectors??? I personally haven't done this, but I have been thinking about it for awhile. I like the look of the exhaust of the AAR Cuda's exiting in front of the rear tires.

This through Spintech, retail ,or Allied exhaust with a shop owner/buddy. A hungry fabrication man,could help you. The late model 4 x4 guys,are amazing.

You can put in new sheet metal floor in the trunk and then drop the fuel cell through the new floor so that it hangs under the car in about the center and have space to run the pipes on either side. Don't use a poly tank for this; use a metal container tank. Add a light stone shield on the front and some heat baffles on the sides and the fuel cell will be good. You might even be able to turn the cell with the long dimension front-to-rear and offset it a bit to one side for better space management.

The tank filler will be in the trunk; there are extensions and fender fillers you can use. Don't use a Monza flip top type; they have a bad habit of popping open in wrecks. I personally would put the filler in a metal tube from the fender to the top for protection. I would also put a metal shield over the fuel line out of the cell and any fuel pump in the area; good racing practice is to always have a complete metal shield between the interior space and any components carrying fuel.

With the cell dropped under the floor, you can still stuff in a spare and your clubs. Here is the general idea: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1311_1968_dodge_dart/photo_10.html

There are also some spare-tire-well-shaped cells around....

I don't want to hijack, but does anyone know if an installed cell like that needs a firewall installed?

-
Back