Fuel contamination? Any idea

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
Have a car at work. Valve stuck. Bent push rod. Valves are sticky. Can lay hand on stems and they will stick to you. Here's a pic of fuel sample taken less than 5 min after put in jar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 231
No. He's tellin you that's what's in it. Diesel.

Gas and diesel mix, but sugar water and fuel don't.
That's sabotage.

I wouldn't think diesel would glue the valves though. This stuff is really sticky in the motor. You can see where it was poured into the filler neck. It's getting sent to the lab. So we will see. Thanks for the input.

I've had suger in my tank before! All it does is load up fuel filters,that's it! Only reason I noticed it was I use clear fuel filters & wondred WTF was this clear sand looking crap in my filter. Had new tank,lines & sending unit. So I cut open the filter & tasted it suger. Not sure what that is most on road diesel has a green tint to it. Off road diesel is red.

There was a thread not to long ago about maple syrup in a engine that caused all sorts of problems.

Pull the gas tank and drain/clean it. reinstall with new filler grommet. pull carburetor and clean it. draw fresh fuel through the system and change the fuel filter. Change the motor oil in your engine also. Any clues by smell/consistency to give you a preliminary guess as to what it is? Luckily the valve train is easily lubricated and bent push rods replaced. If your tank wasn't full of sediment before, I agree that vandalism must be what happened here.

Is that just 2 layers in the sample? Is there oxyginated fuel involved here?
Ive seen oxyginated fuel clean out a gas tank that at one time sat long enough to evaporate all the old fuel out of it.When the varnish delaminates from the tank walls,it
comes off in sheets and sloshes around in the tank as semi-floating mats.When the lighter components move out they are a gooey sticky mess, and dark colored.
Pour some accetone into that sample.If Im right, it will begin to dissolve that dark colored stuff.
Oh yeah its hard clean it all out. Buy several filters, and keep the tools in the car, for 6 months to a year.That stuff gets into the fuel lines too and may clog them up from time to time ,requiring pressurized air from the carb end to blow back into the tank.I removed the inlet sock to facilitate this, and put a new one on. The old one was gummy.

Has the car been sitting for a while? I've been working on a slant six that's been sitting for years and the gas was dark and sticky. If we put new gas in it I think it'd look about like that in a cup because it'd take a lot of the old gunk with it.

I am an analytical chemist.
Try to get a sample of what is in the filler neck sent to the lab. You can use a q-tip to swab the area. That helps to identify it without the gasoline interfering.

taste test might give you some clues ( only a dab on yah finger tho) at the filler cap seeing there is still some there

Im no stranger to taste tests, but I think I would pass on that one.

Although, looking back at the picture, it looks like GUNK on the bottom, gas on the top, and butterscotch pudding in the middle. Mmmmm. Me likey pudding.

It's a 2006 Pontiac g6. Driven everday.
Can see the stuff in filler neck where was poured in it.

Well crap. I thought we were talking about a Slant Six or something... with fuel injection and a crowded engine bay, this is going to be a bigger job to clean up. Sorry this happened... be sure to file a police report.

Lets argue about what it is or isn't for ten pages. What the heck difference does it make what it is? Get it out, clean it up put good gas in it and rock the heck on. Nobody here has a internet analyzer that can reach through the computer and tell you what it is. It's obviously something that ain't supposed to be there.....although somebody here will probably argue with THAT. I am not being a smartass, I am just telling you that around here, people will argue about anydamnthing under the sun. Best thing to do is just get the stuff out......whatever it is and clean it up. Talking about here is just wasting time that could be spent doing the job.

Lets argue about what it is or isn't for ten pages. What the heck difference does it make what it is? Get t out, clean it up put good gas in it and rock the heck on. Nobody here has a internet analyzer that can reach through the computer and tell you what it is. It's obviously something that ain't supposed to be there.....although somebody here will probably argue with THAT. I am not being a smartass, I am just telling you that around here, people will argue about anydamnthing under the sun. Best thing to do is just get the stuff out......whatever it is and clean it up. Talking about here is just wasting time that could be spent doing the job.

I love that you said it before me! Grab the crayons boys......Less than a hundred posts and we will se what happens.

Lets argue about what it is or isn't for ten pages. What the heck difference does it make what it is? Get t out, clean it up put good gas in it and rock the heck on. Nobody here has a internet analyzer that can reach through the computer and tell you what it is. It's obviously something that ain't supposed to be there.....although somebody here will probably argue with THAT. I am not being a smartass, I am just telling you that around here, people will argue about anydamnthing under the sun. Best thing to do is just get the stuff out......whatever it is and clean it up. Talking about here is just wasting time that could be spent doing the job.

I love that you said it before me! Grab the crayons boys......Less than a hundred posts and we will se what happens.

Love it :D

I think this has been beat to death let the tread starter end it with the results!

Insurance adjuster came by yesterday. Took a fuel sample to get tested. Def. something in it. I removed the gas cap and u can see the material in it. I just haven't felt the urge for a taste test that bad. I'll post results in week or so when they let me know them. Customer is pretty cool about it so far.

I wonder if someone got happy with chocolate syrup. Years ago it was real popular to use it on someone that rubbed you the wrong way.

I never understood the cowardice though, the people that did it didn't have the stones to confront the person.

-
Back