Fuel economy report on A500 OD swap

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I used to have a 318 and 904 basically stock motor with Edelbrock dual plane, Edelbrock 1406, headers and 2.5 inch dual exhaust along with HEI ignition.
With the above, whenever we went on an out of state trip I averaged 80 mph and got right at 17 mpg and ran about 2,800 rpm's.
I finally had a chance to take it on a multi hour trip with the mild built 5.9 Magnum and the A500 OD trans.
Stock 9.1 bottom end with the 1.92 valved EQ Magnum heads drilled for LA style intakes, a Oregon Cam Grinders regrind 214/224 and .512 lift, 110 LSA with the stock hydraulic roller lifters and Hughes valve gear with stock Magnum 1.6 rockers (around 400hp and 415tq at 3,500rpms)
The cam grind was selected for mid range torque without destroying fuel economy.
Same intake, headers, exhaust, and ignition as the 318 was running and has a slight lope to it at idle.
Now at 80mph in OD with converter lockup it runs at about 1,800 rpms and gets just a tad better than 25mpg.

Twice the horses of the 318, 1,000 less rpm's and 8 miles to the gallon better on gas.
Anyone thinking to do a swap like this on their daily driver I have to say it was worth every penny and every bit of the work.
The guaranteed good trans cost me 125 bucks with the 1,800 stall converter and I opened it up for inspection and to add a stage 2 Transgo shift kit and new filter.
I did all the actual work and mods to the mounts and the required driveline shortening, so in the end the trans swap itself cost me about 250 total.

The Magnum came out of a 96 Ram 1500 truck, and the trans form a 95 Dakota 5.2 so with egging out one hole about 1/8 inch in the original Magnum flex plate they went together like they were made for each other.
95 was the last year of the hydraulic controlled OD trans, so no computer required.

Alright!!! Gives me hope for good mpg from my stock shortblock 5.9 and OD 5 speed from a 98 Dakota. I've got 3.23 gears now which makes 1st useless and RPMs in OD aren't as low as they should be. Got some 2.76s to put in this winter.

Did you say what rear?

Alright!!! Gives me hope for good mpg from my stock shortblock 5.9 and OD 5 speed from a 98 Dakota. I've got 3.23 gears now which makes 1st useless and RPMs in OD aren't as low as they should be. Got some 2.76s to put in this winter.

Did you say what rear?

I think he has a peg leg 7.25. Don't know the gear ratio tho

I have a 2.76 7.25 rear end right now and with normal driving it's in second before I hit the middle of the intersection coming off of a red light stop.
At some point before to long I'm going to be putting a disc brake trac loc from a Grand Cherokee 8.25 in it, so it will get geared just a little lower when that happens.

Nice job with the details and the results. I like the fact that you recorded your baseline data before the swap. A lot of people forget to do the before data until they have completed the swap or have already begun.

Nice job with the details and the results. I like the fact that you recorded your baseline data before the swap. A lot of people forget to do the before data until they have completed the swap or have already begun.

Thanks for the compliment, but it was totally by chance that I knew because we had just made 4 trips to the west coast so it was pretty fresh info. :D

Great write-up! Overdrive is an awesome upgrade. Its one of those things you wonder how you suffered without it for so long once you have it in. For me adding EFI is equally as impressive of an improvement. They are the two best overall enjoyment enhancements I made on my '68 A-Body.

Heart (Medium).png

Hey Greg, you sold me on the A500 swap about a month ago. Now Andy just did one on his '67 Dart. So, please find one for me and go threw it and let me know where to send the check. Larry

Great write-up! Overdrive is an awesome upgrade. Its one of those things you wonder how you suffered without it for so long once you have it in. For me adding EFI is equally as impressive of an improvement. They are the two best overall enjoyment enhancements I made on my '68 A-Body.

View attachment 1714979763
Nice stuff. 4l60?

Congrats Greg, literally everything you did was an improvement. THAT is a rarity for me lol. Great writeup too.

So your final drive in O/D is like 2.0:1

That's pretty crazy.

Do you have pics of the tunnel and cross member mods?

Very cool! Is your magnum carbed?

Carbed with an Edelbrock 1406 (I wanted to have the old school look and function)
I also don't like relying on electronics and computers for the car to run.

So your final drive in O/D is like 2.0:1

That's pretty crazy.

Do you have pics of the tunnel and cross member mods?

No pics because there wasn't much too it, and there were zero mods to the tunnel itself.
I had to take out the raised part of the loop that goes over the top of the trans where the crossmember is and build a trans mount bracket for the spool mount.
I have .085 wall 2x3 welded in subframe connectors, so removing that section of the loop over the trans wasn't an issue for the strength left in the support.
The OD is .67:1 and then converter lockup gives a 1:1 from the motor to the trans with no slip like the normal converter has.
No slip also means less heat generated, so in lockup the trans runs cooler and therefore transfers less heat to the motor.

Hey Greg, you sold me on the A500 swap about a month ago. Now Andy just did one on his '67 Dart. So, please find one for me and go threw it and let me know where to send the check. Larry

That has crossed my mind before even with the 904's and 727's, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing transmissions through the mail unless I had a test setup so they could be run tested before shipping.

It kinda makes you wonder just how much MPG is possible in a a body....I'm happy with 21 on a TQ equipped stock 5.2 in a 71 with 3:23 and a 904, very interesting! Perhaps 30 is obtainable with a all out effort

It kinda makes you wonder just how much MPG is possible in a a body....I'm happy with 21 on a TQ equipped stock 5.2 in a 71 with 3:23 and a 904, very interesting! Perhaps 30 is obtainable with a all out effort

With EFI it very well could be obtainable.
My motor normally runs about 14.3-14.8 on the A/F gauge on the hiway and I think that's getting pretty close to the edge on lean.
EFI could probably do a little better, if only because of eliminating an accelerator pump.

Nice stuff. 4l60?

Thanks. Its a Stage 2, Extreme Automatics 200R4(with their adapter and a Reid SFI rated bellhousing) spinning a Precision of New Hampton 4000 stall converter with a 3 carbon-fiber disc, lock-up clutch. Its essentially like having a 5 speed automatic.

For me, the compact size, lower weight, high-efficiency, high-strength (rated to 750hp) 2.76 to 1 first gear and a .67 overdrive made it an attractive alternative to the Mopar A500. It was a more expensive solution, and probably overkill if you are running 400 hp or less.

I did have to modify the torsion bar cross-member, but the floor remained uncut. US Cartool makes a kit to install them in A, B & E bodies now.

200R4 3 (Large).jpg

I'm planning on a SRT4/a500 swap into a 67 valiant 4 door some day and hope for a minimum of 30 mpg highway. But that a whole different beast.

I used to have a 318 and 904 basically stock motor with Edelbrock dual plane, Edelbrock 1406, headers and 2.5 inch dual exhaust along with HEI ignition.
With the above, whenever we went on an out of state trip I averaged 80 mph and got right at 17 mpg and ran about 2,800 rpm's.
I finally had a chance to take it on a multi hour trip with the mild built 5.9 Magnum and the A500 OD trans.
Stock 9.1 bottom end with the 1.92 valved EQ Magnum heads drilled for LA style intakes, a Oregon Cam Grinders regrind 214/224 and .512 lift, 110 LSA with the stock hydraulic roller lifters and Hughes valve gear with stock Magnum 1.6 rockers (around 400hp and 415tq at 3,500rpms)
The cam grind was selected for mid range torque without destroying fuel economy.
Same intake, headers, exhaust, and ignition as the 318 was running and has a slight lope to it at idle.
Now at 80mph in OD with converter lockup it runs at about 1,800 rpms and gets just a tad better than 25mpg.

Twice the horses of the 318, 1,000 less rpm's and 8 miles to the gallon better on gas.
Anyone thinking to do a swap like this on their daily driver I have to say it was worth every penny and every bit of the work.
The guaranteed good trans cost me 125 bucks with the 1,800 stall converter and I opened it up for inspection and to add a stage 2 Transgo shift kit and new filter.
I did all the actual work and mods to the mounts and the required driveline shortening, so in the end the trans swap itself cost me about 250 total.

The Magnum came out of a 96 Ram 1500 truck, and the trans form a 95 Dakota 5.2 so with egging out one hole about 1/8 inch in the original Magnum flex plate they went together like they were made for each other.
95 was the last year of the hydraulic controlled OD trans, so no computer required.
Know it's an old post.... But you did not say what gear ratio you were using in this project ???

Thanks. Its a Stage 2, Extreme Automatics 200R4(with their adapter and a Reid SFI rated bellhousing) spinning a Precision of New Hampton 4000 stall converter with a 3 carbon-fiber disc, lock-up clutch. Its essentially like having a 5 speed automatic.

For me, the compact size, lower weight, high-efficiency, high-strength (rated to 750hp) 2.76 to 1 first gear and a .67 overdrive made it an attractive alternative to the Mopar A500. It was a more expensive solution, and probably overkill if you are running 400 hp or less.

I did have to modify the torsion bar cross-member, but the floor remained uncut. US Cartool makes a kit to install them in A, B & E bodies now.

View attachment 1714979866
Precision of New Hampton. Just up the road from me. Great converter builders.

-
Back