Fuel Filler Neck Grommet Replacement

-
I dont understand how you scratched the paint on your car while installing the filler neck... I have removed the neck on my dart several times. The only work that could scratch paint is removing the fuel cap and the 4 screws the hold the filler neck to the quarter panel. After that, the work is all done inside the trunk.

So from your avatar RedRam, I presume you have a 70 Dart, like me. I believe that 67-9 Darts have a set up where the flange goes on the outside of the body, as opposed to a 70 where the flange is inside the trunk. The reason for the change is the nipple for the vent tube on a 70 which makes it impossible to insert the filler tube from outside the car. For ours you push the tube into the tank to get clearance to get it past the trunk opening.

I have had to weld an extension to the end of the filler neck on some models!!!!! I just did the 62 Dart other day, with ne rubber tank grommet I bet I pull it out and weld an extension to it after I get it running/driving!!!

So from your avatar RedRam, I presume you have a 70 Dart, like me. I believe that 67-9 Darts have a set up where the flange goes on the outside of the body, as opposed to a 70 where the flange is inside the trunk. The reason for the change is the nipple for the vent tube on a 70 which makes it impossible to insert the filler tube from outside the car. For ours you push the tube into the tank to get clearance to get it past the trunk opening.

That point highlighted above is how the body gets scratched. If the neck doesn't slide into the grommet and tank smooth and easy, that metal flange "happily" stops when it hits the side of your car around the lip of the gas cap hole.

Just trying to help a guy out. He asked the question, so I figured I would respond, even if I did post this in 2017. Maybe people haven't had filler neck issues in three years and this was just the first thread that popped up in a search.
I'm about to do mine in the 74 duster. Need internet tech

-
Back