Fuel filter location...

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I'm installing a new Holley red electric fuel pump. Should the fuel filter install before the pump or after?

some recommend before and after......i'm off for a link....

After, filters anything that comes from the pump and puts the filter in a pressure situation vs a suction situation if before.

On some Mopars, they came from the factory with the filter right before the pump mounted on a bracket on the frame rail. Of course, this was with the factory mechanical pump and not the electric like you asked about, but that's a fact.

My 2 cents... a sock in the tank on the pickup and then a filter after the electric pump.

you catch things coming AND going that way.

A suction filter MUST be very low restriction and pretty much "designed for the job"

The filter goes AFTER the pump, or you could have vapor lock issues in the heat. As mentioned, it will stress the pump if put before it.

The filter goes AFTER the pump, or you could have vapor lock issues in the heat. As mentioned, it will stress the pump if put before it.

Then why do manufactures use a sock first on new cars? Or are you talking about frame mounted pumps? I answered above with tank mounted pump in mind. I don’t use frame mounted pumps. They get hot easy and I’ve always had them seize up when needed most. Lol!

Then why do manufactures use a sock first on new cars? Or are you talking about frame mounted pumps? I answered above with tank mounted pump in mind. I don’t use frame mounted pumps. They get hot easy and I’ve always had them seize up when needed most. Lol!
Socks are extremely low restriction, which is what I eluded to in my answer. There are special high flow/ low restriction filters that are appropriate for inlet filters.

You have to keep in mind "how this works" consider a front mount mechanical, "or any kind" of front pump. It has to "suck" all that length from tank to front. That creates LOW PRESSURE. As you lower pressure on the fuel, THE BOILING POINT GOES DOWN. It's that simple. Add heat and you have a huge problem. Alky infested fuel boils more easily than "older" pure gasoline

Last edited:
-
Back