Fuel gage off with fuel cell

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
I have a 71 Dart with the factory gage. Currently running a 12 gallon Jaz cell with their 70-10 ohm sender, 70 empty and 10 full. If I fill the cell to within 1" of the top, the gage will indicate about 3/4 full. After using only about 4 gallons the gage is on E. It sounds like I have too much resistance at the gage or possibly not a good enough ground at the gage. Any other thoughts?

Thanks..........!!

I have the exact same problem with my 16 gallon cell so I thought that it was the sender so I bought another one of the same, well that was not the answer. I was told that I should be using an 0-90 OHM sending unit which is for GM. Well as of this date I have not purchased one yet as I am waiting for a sure positive note from someone who has purchased one and it works properly. So for right now I use a ruler to let me know how much fuel I have and I know I get about 10 mpg, and thats takin it easy so around 120 miles I should start thinking about fueling up..

I have preached before---treat your gauges as a SYSTEM

You have the wiring and "bad connections" part of the system,

the voltage limiter, which can be innaccurate or suffer bad connections

the gauge terminals can have bad connections, or the gauge itself can be out of calibration

and of course the sender.

The sender part "sounds" easy. All you need to do, for full and empty, is to establish at what point you lose suction, or have a little reserve, IE the empty point, and adjust the sender so that an ACCURATE ohmeter reads about 73 ohms at empty.

The fiddle until the sender reads about 10 ohms at full.

The sender is supposed to be about 23 ohms at half.

If you meet either full or empty, the gauge should read thus, and if it doesn't there is then something wrong with the rest of the SYSTEM

Go to rad shack or otherwise obtain some resistors. Substitute a 10 ohm resistor at the sender, or else move your sender to obtain 10-11 ohms, and wait a minute for the gauge to stabilize. If it does not read full, then the sender is NOT your problem. Likewise the empty point If you can somehow adjust the sender to show 73-75 ohms, and the gauge does not produce an empty reading, then the sender is not the problem

Make CERTAIN the sending unit is well grounded to the body of the car.

Bear in mind---you are dealing with 40 year old electrics, which might not have been so accurate when new.

-
Back