Fuel gague?'s

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
OK, I have had my 71 Swinger for about a year. Slowly working and driving it. I have been wanting to take a long drive and check it out. So I start out by going to the gas station and filling her up. It was on about a 1/4 tank. It took only about 6 gal to fill. I got in and looked at the gague, it was registering 3/4 full. I drove till gague was down to 1/4 tank again, filled it up (6gal) and still only went to 3/4 tank.
Is there some way to adjust the gague so that it will read full when full and only 1/4 whne there is only a 1/4 tank of fuel? Or di I need a new sending unit? Thanks for the help.

nobody knows if a fuel gague can be adjusted? Wow.
OK, so where is a good place to get a sending unit?

Rockauto.com has them for $68-77 depending on the diameter of the fuel line, but you may be able to get one from a local auto parts store.

Make sure the electrical connections on the gauge and sending unit are clean and tight before spending any money.
I don't think the gauge itself can be adjusted.

Hope this helps.

Replace, or pull the tank, and see if you can clean it. Basically, sending unit is shot. Jump the sender to ground, not for a long time, and see if gauge reads full- if so, bad sender. Better is to hook up 2 batteries(3 volt) and attach to sender wire- the dash regulator hates more than 6 volts.

Thanks guys. the good thing is it read low, so I should not run out of gas.

-
Back