Fuel / Gas Sending unit question

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Putting in a new Fuel/Gas Sending unit in my 69 Dart when I replace the gas tank. I have been looking at them on Ebay, VansAuto, Rock Auto etc and have a couple questions for those who have been there/done that:

• Stainless steel or Zinc unit?
  • Plastic or Brass float?
  • Should there be a strainer sock or not? Pros/cons?
  • Does the 69 Abody have a return line on the unit or not? Different sellers show with and without.
Thanks for any help...

Similar to OEM will serve well for a long time. 5/16 plated tube, brass float, and sock. Vented is California emissions only.
Mine is from Vans Auto. No complaint.

Most of the stainless units are made in China by Jesse Lai. There are decent OE replacements coming out of Canada from Spectra Premium, and there are even better genuine OE units still available from Chrysler (P/N 4051 004). 5/16" line is correct, and the type with the vapour return fitting is OE only on '75-6 models with vapour return. Handy (in conjunction with a vapour-return type fuel filter) for combatting hot-start problems with modern alcohol-contaminated gasoline, but not the only way to retrofit same. Brass or plastic float is fine. YES, you need a strainer!

Individual parts for repair or in case the sender you buy comes without:

Float: Ford P/N COAZ-9202-B
Strainer "sock": GM P/N 5651 705
Gasket: Chrysler P/N 6031 475
Sender grounding clip: Chrysler P/N 2258 862

Thanks Dan-

I appreciate your knowledgeable advice!
I havent taken my tank out yet- so I havent seen the original sending unit.

As you can see by the pic below- this is the 69 Dart application on many different sites. As you can see it has return / vapor vent line... maybe they just use a stock photo to confuse

Attachments

• -gas-fuel-sending-unit.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 213
Once again, it's not a fuel return line . It is a vapor vent port. You can cap it off if not needed.

Does the 69 Abody have a return line on the unit or not? Different sellers show with and without.
I'm pretty sure 69 model with California emissions had the vent and 70 up all had the vent. I dont know if your car was built with California emissions. still better to have the vent and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I just put a sender like the one pictured above, except it had a plastic float :( , in my 65 Dart. It works fine. I just capped off the vent tube.

-
Back