Fuel gauge accuracy

-

Jimmy428

Reaction score
Ok I have researched the topic, but I have a few lingering questions. I know that the ohms should read 10 full and 73 or so empty for mopars.

My gauge shoots to full when grounded, so everything forward the sending unit is good to go.

Will wiring in resistors from RadioShack help? And how would they be wired in? Between the wire and sending unit? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

what you need to do is pull the sending unit out and hook the ohm meter up to it. make sure empty (down) is the correct ohms or adjust the arm AT THE STOP to adjust your empty ohm...

Ok I have researched the topic, but I have a few lingering questions. I know that the ohms should read 10 full and 73 or so empty for mopars.

My gauge shoots to full when grounded, so everything forward the sending unit is good to go.

Will wiring in resistors from RadioShack help? And how would they be wired in? Between the wire and sending unit? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Just grounding the sender does not prove that the gauge is "good to go."

You mentioned sender resistance. You either need to manually move the sender to 10, 73, and 25 ohms, or by resistors to make those values up, and substitute the resistors for the sender. This will show you whether the gauge is accurate, IE 10/ full, 23-25/ 1/2, and 73/ MT

THEN you can bend, adjust, argue the sender. It seems to be accepted that replacement/ repop senders are not accurate over the full range, and some say that the arm is too short.

Frankly, I'd be happy just to know that MT is accurate.

(If I was younger and less arthritic, had more time and money, I might argue with it)

-
Back