Fuel Gauge not accurate

-

Benlab1954

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart swinger, new sending unit and gas lines but when the gauge says empty there is still half tank , anybody know what I can do about this situation.

I have a 69 dart swinger, new sending unit and gas lines but when the gauge says empty there is still half tank , anybody know what I can do about this situation.

My 'Cuda does the same thing....please let me know what fixes it.

I've learned just to fill up every 100 miles to be safe.

they make an ohm tester... you hook it up to ground and the sending unit wire... use it between the correct ohms for full and empty (93-10??)

if the gauge is right then its the sending unit...

could be bent or just bad...

There is a difference between a dead gauge and empty so lets define the condition.
at off or dead the needle should be near the E, away from any hash marks.
There is a tiny target/dot on the gauge screen above the first hash mark. It can't be seen when the gauge is installed. That needle position is calibrated to 73 ohms and represents approx 2 gallons in the tank.
If you have a dead gauge ( needle doesn't move at all ) , it may be loosing contact to the printed circuit board or the ground strap on the fuel line is not completing the senders ground path.

I put a new sender in my 67 Barracuda and my gas gauge behaves much the same way. Redfish suggested the 45 YO gauge might be responsible due to thermal distortion of internal parts.

It's not much of an issue for me. Since I drove the car for >20 years without a working gas gauge, I learned to fill up every 200 miles. I'll withhold judgement on the new sender until after I've had the gas gauge rebuilt. Inaccurate is still better than no gauge movement at all.

My new fuel sender is a bit panicky too... Hits empty with 20+ litres still in the tank...

From looking at it before it went in, it seems there are tangs on the unit that act as stops. Perhaps pulling it out and bending the tangs might help. I'm leaving mine as it is, leaves a (massive) safety margin

My new fuel sender is a bit panicky too... Hits empty with 20+ litres still in the tank...

From looking at it before it went in, it seems there are tangs on the unit that act as stops. Perhaps pulling it out and bending the tangs might help. I'm leaving mine as it is, leaves a (massive) safety margin

About that..
The original sender/pick up assembly was the longer straighter shown below. That float would bounce against the bottom of the tank and wear a hole in the float eventually. The redesigned sender for later models doesn't allow the float to touch the bottom and is the only type reproduced.

Attachments

• S6304209.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 240
-
Back