Fuel gauge reading wrong

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
so when i fill up my tank, thie highest my gauge will go is 3/4 of a tank. obviously theres more in the tank than that. is it the float? or the gauge itself? how would i go about repairing either way?

sounds to me like a float issue. the float changes the resistance of the circuit and shows the outcome on the gauge. floats are pretty simple to change. you need to run the tank as dry as possible and park it up hill if possible to push the rest of the gas to the back of the tank. the float is in the front of the tank and is very easy to get to lying on your back under the car. just use something like a hard wooden dowl or a brass punch and knock the retaining ring loose and it pretty much slides right out. New floats are about 60 bucks or so and come with new gaskets. i would also put some gasket sealant on the gasket before reinstalling. make sure the ground is hooked back up securely and you should be ready to go. when you're done, put about a 1/4 tank of gas in it and let it sit on a level area to check for leaks before filling it all the way. enitre process should take about 30 mins.

We have a brand new tank ,new fuel sender,grounded properly,new guage matched to the ohms but still doesnt read correctly, so dont go out and buy a new fuel sender yet ,I would start with just the float and sock filter first. you can get them through O'reilly's or Kragen. When you guys find out any other solutions please let me know cuz I;m at my wits end

Bob

Search in here, and find info to check your voltage regulator behind the dash( if you haven't already temp grounded your sending wire, in order to check your gauge).

I have the opposite problem. Ran out of gas again today. Gauge said almost 1/4 full when it died on the LA freeway. It will read full fine but never gets to reading empty.

the float extends out on an arm. the arm may be slightly bent causing it either to not read all the way full, or the opposite as someone one noted. You may need to tweak that arm by bending up or down to fix the issue. Only problem is that you have to have very little fuel in it to pull the sending unit. May take several attempts before you get it right.

Oh, take this into consideration too... if you get a pin hole in the brass float (I had this happen), you may have it fill up and float to the bottom showing an empty tank, or have just enough fuel fill it causing it to slightly float or act crazy.

Good luck.

I treated my tank and installed new sending unit and mine only reads 3/4 to 7/8
when i fill up run for two weeks and it is on empty fill up only takes 9 .5 gallons
16 gallon tank means when on empty i have 6.5 gallons left ? i keep dowel rod in trunk to check levels. marked when full and when at half and when on empty
some day i will have advance order a new one (1 year warranty) only been for 3 months

the float extends out on an arm. the arm may be slightly bent causing it either to not read all the way full, or the opposite as someone one noted. You may need to tweak that arm by bending up or down to fix the issue. Only problem is that you have to have very little fuel in it to pull the sending unit. May take several attempts before you get it right.

Oh, take this into consideration too... if you get a pin hole in the brass float (I had this happen), you may have it fill up and float to the bottom showing an empty tank, or have just enough fuel fill it causing it to slightly float or act crazy.

Good luck
That what I did, Bent the float arm slightly. It worked.

-
Back