Fuel gauge/sender ? 65 Dart

-

MoparN8

Reaction score
Fuel gauge issues seem to be pretty common on this site....so here goes another one.

I replaced my sending unit figuring that was the reason the gauge wasn't working. Took the unit out and sure enough, old one was trashed. Took the instrument cluster off and cleaned the connections. Hooked it all back up, put a few gallons of gas back in the tank and the needle moved! But....it shot up to a full tank with only 2 gallons in :mad:....went to the gas station, filled it up and gauge still read full until i was halfway home and then the gauge just "died" and fell back to E. Haven't been able to get it to move again.

Just wanted to know if anyone has seen this before...I can't figure it out and it's jamacin me crazy....Car is a 65 Dart

On the 65 ths gauge voltage regulator is built into the gauge itself. Not a seperate unit. I just went thru this and ended up with an Autometer unit with the correct resistance for the stock sender. Works great. Just make sure you are grounded at the tank (which you should do first off anyway).

Any time one or more gauges peg the needle to its maximum travel , Disconnect their power quick. You have 3 minutes or less depending on the age/condition of the winding inside the gauge(s). That's because the mechanical limiter can and will send full system voltage through a gauge.
Solid state regulators that send no more than 5 volts can fry a good gauge winding also if the sender side should short to ground BUT,
It can take 15 minutes or more.
If you temp and/or oil press' gauges were working properly the fuel gauge is toast. If those other gauges are now inop also both the fuel gauge and its internal limiter are toast. Hope this helps

-
Back