Fuel Injection on a 383

-

matthon

Reaction score
I am considering fuel injection, in place of the 750 Holley currently on my 383, but as of this moment I have done zero research.
The Holley is nice, and I don't really have issues with it since I rebuilt it, I'm just curious to see if anyone switched to fuel injection on their cars?

What are you running, where did you get it, how much, and don't forget the pics!

how much do you want to spend?
there was an article in a mag some years back called "Frugal Fulie" (Mopar Action I think)
The guy put fuel injection on his 66 coronet with a 383. Did it on the cheap by getting a little creative. The accel DFI is the best IMHO. The generation 7 is full sequential.
Also if you like the DIY approach, check out the Megasquirt site or Spectra Performance.

there are a lot of options out there. the new fast ez efi looks pretty interesting i like the multipoint design but there arent really any cheap options

Just wanted to share my experience with the fast ez efi system. I have been using it now for almost a year without any issues really. The kit cost me $1900 and included everything you need to do the swap from carburetion to injection. The throttle body fits and square bore intake. I have it in a fairly built 440 and it works amazingly well. The driveability was greatly improved and the performance is also right in line. If you are looking for an easy system to install and set up this is hard to beat. The injectors supplied in the kit will support up to 550 horsepower and can be upgraded if more power is needed. Here is a pic I took last week when I was swapping out heads.

Attachments

• IMG00112-20101114-1140.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,720
I want to run fuel injection on my 383 as well. Been looking into Megasquirt II, it will control fuel and spark. MS-II is batch or bank injection though. MS-III is sequential injection.

MegaSquirt on a slant six. Most expensive part was the custom machined manifold and fuel rail - $600. All told, I spent around $1500 on the EFI components. I don't have any pictures of the first completed installation - right now it's apart for a bigger turbo.

underhood.jpg

coldside1.jpg

Note that I ended up flipping the throttle body around between the times these two pictures were taken. It's a Ford Crown Victoria throttle body on a piece of aluminum water pipe from McMaster-Carr. They didn't have Edlebrock's cast elbow adapters when I put this together; getting that part fabricated was about as expensive as buying a ready made Edelbrock piece is now, as I can't weld aluminum.

MegaSquirt on a slant six. Most expensive part was the custom machined manifold and fuel rail - $600. All told, I spent around $1500 on the EFI components. I don't have any pictures of the first completed installation - right now it's apart for a bigger turbo.

underhood.jpg

coldside1.jpg

Note that I ended up flipping the throttle body around between the times these two pictures were taken. It's a Ford Crown Victoria throttle body on a piece of aluminum water pipe from McMaster-Carr. They didn't have Edlebrock's cast elbow adapters when I put this together; getting that part fabricated was about as expensive as buying a ready made Edelbrock piece is now, as I can't weld aluminum.

Are you using a retard box for timing on your set up?

I am thinking about using a mega squirt 2 for my TT Small Block Build.
I am confused about the timing controls if any with the Mega squirt. Does it control timing or have any 2 Step Rev Controls? Do you need a seperate Map Sensor for the ignition?
I need a 2 step ignition 1) Launch 2) High Rev, with Nitrous Retard and Boost Retard!

Do you have any of these answers?

know two guys running the fast ez efi with very good results. one is a built single carb 440 and the other is djv's dual quad 360.

The Fast EFI would need 2 throttle body's on my application. I have already checked into it and with a Twin Turbo set up it only gets more complicated. Plus the set up with everything is around 4k to do it. The MS2 I believe is a way better set up and has a better price point for BOOSTED Applications in my opinion. I am about to find out for myself.

The MS2 can control everything, I believe.

http://www.diyautotune.com/

I have been researching the MS2 and it seems that it has ignition control to turn it on etc but NO spark control.

I need a 2 step rev limiter with NOS Retard AND BOOST Retard...................I am hoping you are correct, that would be great!!

I have a email into them to see for sure.

The Fast EFI would need 2 throttle body's on my application. I have already checked into it and with a Twin Turbo set up it only gets more complicated. Plus the set up with everything is around 4k to do it. The MS2 I believe is a way better set up and has a better price point for BOOSTED Applications in my opinion. I am about to find out for myself.

yea i don't know about the boosted application but for a single carb non-boosted car i don't see how ya can go wrong with a ez efi. its good to like 550 hp.

The MS2 can control everything, I believe.

http://www.diyautotune.com/

Well DANG, you are absolutely correct!

Here is Matt's response to my questions. There is absolutely NO NEED to use an Ignition Controller with my set up. MSD is not required at all!

Question is in RED and the answer is in BLUE

On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:08 AM, DIYAutoTune.com Sales (Matt) wrote:

Hello Louis,

The MegaSquirt can control ignition timing as well as fuel. I have an article here on how to make it work with factory (and many aftermarket) Mopar distributors.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_vintage_mopar_engine.htm

The ignition timing is tuned with a table that lets you specify the timing in degrees as a function of RPM and MAP sensor reading (boost / vacuum) so this handles boost retard and even lets you use different amounts of boost retard at different RPM if needed. It is also possible to use an input to retard timing under nitrous use.

The MS2 only has a two-step rev limit - regular and a burnout or launch rev limiter. MS3 has three stages.

Thanks,

Matt Cramer
DIYAutoTune.com Support

On 12/3/2010 10:07 AM, Louis Cruz wrote:
Technical: Mega squirt 2

I really want to convert to EFI for my Twin Turbo Small Block Mopar project and
need to know if this is a stand alone EFI controller or does it allow for
Ignition Tuning also? I need to know what to do to control the Timing when on Boost.
I am confused, do I need to have a seperate Ignition Box such as and MSD6-2al
Programmable unit??
I need a 3 step ingnition controller with BOOST Retard 1) Burn Out 2) Launch 3)
Nitrous

I am ready to make the change as soon as I find out more information.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Louis

Yup, I threw in the "I believe" because I have not personally done it....yet. 8)

I'm gonna do a single turbo, ms2 efi, air/water intercooled 318.

-
Back