fuel issue

-

seitz

Reaction score
i am tryong to start my 340 duster i can get it to fire when i fee dthe carb gas but wint start. I cant get fuel to pump from fuel pump i have replaced with another new one (MECH) but still nothing.
I think it may start if i can get fuel to pump. any suggestions as to why i am not getting gas?

Blow Compressed Air backward thru the Fuel Line and see if you get Gurgles in the Tank...
It might Blow the Plugged-Up Sock off of your Fuel Pickup.
Then just replace the Fuel Filter up front and try again

thanks i did do that before i replaced pump but will do it again maybe i never put the air to it long enough

Get a length of rubber gas line, remove the line from the gas tank to the fuel pump and hook up the rubber line to the fuel pump and run it into a gas can.

Start? If yes, fuel pump is good.

Then , reconnect gas line to fuel pump.

Remove fuel line from gas tank and run the rubber hose into the gas line at the tank end.

Start? if yes, problem is in the tank.

As stated above, feed line in sending unit is clogged or bent closed.

Cheers!

You can also make a Fiji fuel pump.

This was made from stuff I just had laying around.

Basic use.

Plastic container with screw on lid.

Tight fitting hole in top to put a hose through.

A second hole for a vent.

Fill with fuel.

Attach the other end of the hose to the inlet of the fuel pump.

Squeeze the bottle while plugging the vent hole. This will push fuel through the fuel pump and into the carb.

SAFELY secure the bottle and crank the engine. If it starts and pulls fuel from the bottle the carb, fuel pump and lines are good.

If it doesn't pull fuel from the bottle then the fuel pump is not functioning correctly, might be pump, might be escentric (sp?)

IMG_20230622_182814_01.jpg

You can also make a Fiji fuel pump.

This was made from stuff I just had laying around.

Basic use.

Plastic container with screw on lid.

Tight fitting hole in top to put a hose through.

A second hole for a vent.

Fill with fuel.

Attach the other end of the hose to the inlet of the fuel pump.

Squeeze the bottle while plugging the vent hole. This will push fuel through the fuel pump and into the carb.

SAFELY secure the bottle and crank the engine. If it starts and pulls fuel from the bottle the carb, fuel pump and lines are good.

If it doesn't pull fuel from the bottle then the fuel pump is not functioning correctly, might be pump, might be escentric (sp?)

View attachment 1716111435
Trie dthis did not work blew air in tank fuel came back out line so no plug there tried a short section of hose at pump its not pumping fuel pum p is brand new so i assume i need to pull timing cover. Not what i wanted to do the eccentric was installed my my motor guy so i can think he woudl install without key way. I also had to cranlk motor over to get new pump on to me that woudl say eccentric is on properly but what the heck else could it be?

With everything hooked up correctly, disconnect the hose going into the fuel filter. Run a longer hose to a gas can and crank the engine. If the pump is functional you should get fuel pumping out into the can.

I agree that having to rotate the engine to install fuel pump points to good eccentric.

If you can get fuel from tank to filter then filter or carb ( stuck float???) seem to be the only thing left.

I’d recommend bottle feeding using a rubber line and a used antifreeze-sized bottle mounted safely near the alternator/fan housing. If it is able to mechanically pump fuel from a temporary bottle…. then, you can almost rule out the fuel pump issue. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend installing a clear Wix fuel filter just before the carburetor. This will insure that you can physically see fuel being pumped and the filter material will breath with each pump. I don’t recommend using the clear plastic filters for longer term use but, make trouble shooting gas delivery issues a lot easier to manage.

I say “most likely” rule out the fuel pump because I’ve encountered a handful of 440 motors where the metal fuel push rod was smashed shorter than OEM length. So much so that a bottle feeding would work but, pump arm movement was minimized from the shortened rod that it wasn’t forceful enough to build pressure from the full length of line to the gas tank. <— This is a very rare occurrence but, also might be worth checking the fuel rod length is oem.

New Carter fuel pumps are really hit or miss. It’s not quite 50% are good and 50% bad but, it almost feels that high of a failure rate on the newer, cheaper made, ones.

thanks guys i got it pumping had to prime the pump to get it going

If you have to prime a fuel pump there is something wrong with it. Dirt in the check valves, bad check valves, "or something."

yes looks like another issue pump dont have fuel today. If send unit is bad that would be an issue i think correct ? i did blow air into it at tank and fuel pissed put through line at tank tried air from fuel pump back to tank but nothing came back out maybe a bit far away

-
Back