Fuel leval sender

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I have been having problems with my fuel guage it was a eques 73-10 fuel guage.Well I finely got a new sending unit for the car and was just testing it and am having a problem.

I cut the wire that runs the sending unit to the guage I cut it about half way so it was easier to work with.Holding the new sending unit in my hand I touched the wire off the guage to the new sending unit and the guage does nothing.I touched the two ends of the old wire I cut and the fuel guage so just under full I know thats not true closer to 1/4 of a tank.

I don't understand why you cut the wire. You can access the sender easily at the left kick panel where the rear harness comes up from under the sill plate, there is a connector right there that separates the rear and the dash harness.

If you don't have any, do yourself a favor and to do RadioSHack and buy a couple of bags of clip leads.

The simple fact is that you should be able to ground EITHER the temp or the fuel sender wire, turn on the key and the gauge should head to the top. Don't leave the key on for long.

IN FACT you can test the fuel sender with the TEMP gauge!!!!

Raise the hood, disconnect the temp gauge, and use clip leads to hook the temp sender wire to the fuel sender and to ground. Turn on the key, and moving the sender float, you should see the temp sender move. You can carefully move the arm and watch for a "full" reading as well as "empty" and check the resistance of the sender at that point, with power shut off and simply by clipping the sender lead to your meter.

-
Back