Fuel level gauges

-

rgp266

Reaction score
I know, this has been asked about a thousand times but.......which OHM range fuel gauge for a pre-74 Mopar?

Thanks....

Bob

IIRC it's 70-10 but don't count on it being accurate.
We just had a discussion about that a min ago on the Gremlin post.

80 ohms is no needle movement. 73 ohms is up to the empty hash mark. 23 ohms is a half tank. 10 ohms is full.

Thanks, gents. Second question is do I have to buy a pick-up/tank sender to match the gauge manufacturer (Auto Meter) or will my existing sender work? I am assuming it is the stock unit and I will likely change it to a 3/8" line.

Thanks again.

Bob

Thanks, gents. Second question is do I have to buy a pick-up/tank sender to match the gauge manufacturer (Auto Meter) or will my existing sender work? I am assuming it is the stock unit and I will likely change it to a 3/8" line.

Thanks again.

Bob

That's the problem, as people will tell you all kinds of things and they should be right but doing it is the only way to find out if it's actually is going to work right for you specifically.
Senders and gauges don't have to be from the same manufacturer but they do have to both use the same ohm ranges.

Mopars are usually 70 to 10ohm range and the gauge has to use that same range, so in your case you need to order a sender that uses the same ohm range your autometer gauge uses.

Changing to a 3/8 line would include the 3/8 sender.

Thanks Redfish and TrailBeast. Knew going to the 3/8 fuel delivery system would need the new pickup and sender. Just needed to get my ducks in a row for the rest of it.

Bob

I don't know how you plan on doing yours, but I replaced the OE line with 3/8 nylon 12 EFI line for the feed and used the OE steel as a return.
Mine is carbed, but it sure was easy to deal with and didn't cost much to do.
As a side benefit when I got all done and tested fuel pump pressure I found that the OE steel line used as a return gave exactly the resistance to make the fuel pressure at the carb what it needed without having to put a regulator on it.

What Carb. were you running? Seems I recall Carters like about 5# fuel pressure and Holley's seemed to like between 6# and 7#.
Where in Az. are you? I lived in metro Phoenix at one time.

Bob

What Carb. were you running? Seems I recall Carters like about 5# fuel pressure and Holley's seemed to like between 6# and 7#.
Where in Az. are you? I lived in metro Phoenix at one time.

Bob

Running an Edelbrock at 5.5 lbs and I live up by Prescott.

That's the problem, as people will tell you all kinds of things and they should be right but doing it is the only way to find out if it's actually is going to work right for you specifically.
Senders and gauges don't have to be from the same manufacturer but they do have to both use the same ohm ranges.

Mopars are usually 70 to 10ohm range and the gauge has to use that same range, so in your case you need to order a sender that uses the same ohm range your autometer gauge uses.
if u do some research, u can fid a sender on ebay that is a newer more modern version that will work w/ you new mopar gauge. I did. it travels a little slow, but seems to work right jfyi-----bob

if u do some research, u can fid a sender on ebay that is a newer more modern version that will work w/ you new mopar gauge. I did. it travels a little slow, but seems to work right jfyi-----bob

Thanks.
Myself, I just got a newer gauge had to bend the float arm just slightly so empty on the tank matched empty on the gauge.
It was only about a gallon off, but I couldn't stand it that way.

Thanks.
Myself, I just got a newer gauge had to bend the float arm just slightly so empty on the tank matched empty on the gauge.
It was only about a gallon off, but I couldn't stand it that way.
dang, I wrote sender, "I meant the voltage limiter" ! I guess I need to proof read a little more. sorry- bob

-
Back