Fuel Line Cleaning??

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I am about ready to install a new gas tank with a new sending unit in my 66. I rebuilt the carburetor and have a new fuel pump to install. The motor has not been run for 10 to 15 years. What should I do to the fuel line? Is there a method for cleaning someone can suggest?

Thanks,
David

yes. put at least 1/2 tank of fuel, then add about a liter of acetone. it will clean EVERYTHING.
change the fuel filter when the tank is empty.

REPLACE the lines.

I agree..you've replaced the tank,sending unit,fuel pump,and rebuilt the carb..and your going to use the OLD fuel lines,they're cheap enough and easy to replace so go for it...

The motor has not been run for 10 to 15 years. What should I do to the fuel line?

Thanks,
David

Same scenerio in my case. 1974 Dart last cranked in 1990. Car sat for 15 years. I bought a new gas tank and sending unit. The fuel pump is original. Replaced the fuel filter. Carb is original. I was concerned about gunk in the fuel line. I used a lot of compressed air and blew the line from the rear to the front and from the front to the rear before hooking the line to the sending unit. The compressed air blew out the lines well. Gas flows without a problem.

I would replace the line if it were me. I did that on my 66 Dart and it was $60 from Quanta Products. It's pre bent and fit like a glove. I took the old line off and bent it to get it in the garbage can and it fell apart. It was a fire waiting to happen. The inside of the tank had rust scales as big as my thumb. I'm glad I replaced it all. toolmanmike

Replace the line. Old gas is damn near impossible to remove with anything, even something called "Hydroseal" IIRC and that stuff was corrosive. Get it on your skin and it burned like hell. We'd dip jets in this stuff for a week and and still wouldn't remove the deposits.

All,

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should just spring for new lines. I see that I can get stainless lines for about $135 (includes two lines, one from the tank to the fuel pump, and the other from the fuel pump to the carburetor).

Thanks again,
David

All,

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I should just spring for new lines. I see that I can get stainless lines for about $135 (includes two lines, one from the tank to the fuel pump, and the other from the fuel pump to the carburetor).

Thanks again,
David

Good choice David

You could blow it out with some actone and see what it looks like. Back flush it with an air line. If it looks clean then make a choice.

-
Back