Fuel line woes

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
What do you guys think of me making my own fuel line out of 3/8 steel brake line from NAPA...I figure I'd have to use Three 60" pieces, with 2 unions, and bend it myself...Does that sound like a viable option, or should I just spend the 70 bucks for a prebent fuel line from like classic tube...I'm not going for resto status, so it doesn't have to be super pretty, just wanna upgrade from the rusted 5/16 line...

I figure both will still be a pain in the *** to install whether it's a prebent one piece trying to fish it through everything, or just get straight lines, and having to bend it myself...What are your thoughts? Talk to me...

Thanks,
James

Just thought I'd add that I'm putting in a new fuel tank, 3/8 sending unit as well...Just need to order it on monday...

I was under the impression that except for inserting filters etc., you could not legally run multi-piece fuel line setups, or was that brakes lol?

Grant

It's no more than 12 inches of rubber line combined. Some cars I work on have 2-3 sections of fuel line with rubber sections connecting them. This is factory too. I would personally order the new line is SS and get new clips for the 3/8 line as well....It's not that hard to fish in.

just my 2 cents.

redfastback, is it doable (installing the prebent line) with the car on the ground on jack stands? lol...I don't think SS is necessary for my build, trying to maintain somewhat of a budget, but for your cuda, of course stainless...

Do NOT buy stainless Steel.....you need to have your head examined if you do.....and I don't mean cylinder head!
Stainless is MORE money and Harder to bend....not so bad with fuel lines as it is with brake lines trying to get them to stop leaking. The flare fittings are too hard = no seal.
I do recommend a NEW one piece OE material fuel line.
Don't cheap out piecing lines together...that is just asking for a fire!

Do NOT buy stainless Steel.....you need to have your head examined if you do.....and I don't mean cylinder head!
Stainless is MORE money and Harder to bend....not so bad with fuel lines as it is with brake lines trying to get them to stop leaking. The flare fittings are too hard = no seal.
I do recommend a NEW one piece OE material fuel line.
Don't cheap out piecing lines together...that is just asking for a fire!

Installed quite a few and my head is just fine...with the right tools to flare, and doing the job right it works great...yeah it does cost more.

Secondly, what part of flaring is going to leak on a front to rear fuel line????? It has a bubbled end at each end.....where rubber hose goes on and there is no need to bend it if it's pre-bent....

A little dramatic? Geez....

What do you guys think of me making my own fuel line out of 3/8 steel brake line from NAPA...I figure I'd have to use Three 60" pieces, with 2 unions, and bend it myself...Does that sound like a viable option, or should I just spend the 70 bucks for a prebent fuel line from like classic tube...I'm not going for resto status, so it doesn't have to be super pretty, just wanna upgrade from the rusted 5/16 line...

I figure both will still be a pain in the *** to install whether it's a prebent one piece trying to fish it through everything, or just get straight lines, and having to bend it myself...What are your thoughts? Talk to me...

Thanks,
James
No offence Steve...But, if you Read his first post he was talking about piecing together 3/8" BRAKE lines with Unions to make a fuel line. Not a great idea....more risk of a fuel leak....and a fire.
Yes you are correct the pre made lines are barbed at each end for a rubber hose...And they are usually shipped Bent in half so you do have to straighten them out. Again, not a huge problem but just alittle easier with OE material. It's not like any of us are going to drive our (show) cars in the winter to even 'need' a stainless line anyway.
The point I was trying to get across was I HATE SS Fuel and Brake lines!
Kori
Show and Go Restoration
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/showandgoresto

I ordered the prebent steel lines and new clips. They fit it like a glove.

Okay guys, I guess the general consensus is to order the regular prebent steel 3/8 line, which I did...Placed my order from classic tube...Thanks all...

Kori,
No offense taken, I myself like to use stainless not just for "show" cars, but cars that actually get driven rain or shine. regular steel can rust faster than you think. Trust me I understand the frustration that SS can give you....I usually polish it til it looks like trim as well..

Mopardude, you will see just how much better it is with fresh pre bent line...worth it's weight.

-
Back