Fuel Pressure Regulator! When??

-

318ute

Reaction score
Some guys seem to run them and some don't!

At what point should I consider a fuel pressure regulator.

The engine will be have a Carter hi-flow mechanical pump and I am thinking maybe I will need a regulator but I am not certain.

Any opinions please. :roll:

My experience with carter mechanical pumps was not a good one. Just a little advice. I got a Mopar perf. pump at my local dealer for like 35.00. As for the regulator, better to have than not have. The Mopar pump is 8.7 psi. I just went through all of this, so I can tell ya first hand. Get the Holley reg. it's like 25.00, and it does the job greatly! Hope this helps!!!!! :thumleft:

The moapr perf. pump is a carter pump.

You should run a regulator if your pump puts out more them 8 psi. Most pumps will say if they need a reg or not.

No, there two different ones. The Mopar one looks stock, The Carter one looks like the Holley style.

Many Thanks for the help on this fella's. much appreciated!

The fuel pump I bought was from a Mopar dealer and it looks the same as the original pump.

I will add a regulator to my shopping list just for peace of mind.

Thanks. 8)

318ute said:
Many Thanks for the help on this fella's. much appreciated!

The fuel pump I bought was from a Mopar dealer and it looks the same as the original pump.

I will add a regulator to my shopping list just for peace of mind.

Thanks. 8)

Just because you bought it from a dealer doesn't mean its a MP part. I think fastback is right the actual MP pump is a carter.

Two totally different looking pumps, different part numbers. Mancini has them as well. I don't know, from what I've seen they are in no way the same. The Mopar has an mp part number the carter has a carter part number. Not trying to be difficult, but I just don't see how they could be the same. http://store.yahoo.com/chucker54/mechanical.html

chucker54_1814_6925945.gif

Is that what your MP pump looks like, because that what mu old Carter street pump looked like also. MP may just offer a few differant mech pump.

chucker54_1814_6925945.gif

Nope, it looks like a stock fuel pump. I kinda questioned my dealer when I got it. But it's an 8.7 psi. 35.00..... not bad.

No problems so far. The point I was trying to make was that it looked like a regular stock pump. I was expecting the Holley style like the carter I previously owned. I was a little sceptical at first when I got it. But I haven't had any problems yet. Of course I'm not running 11.00 sec. quarter miles. So, for what I got, it's plenty.

Before I switched to an electric pump I was running a cheap $15 reman pump. It put out 7.5 psi and fed my car fine.

-
Back