Fuel PSI

-

honcho

Reaction score
64 225/6 Putting a fuel psi regulator in-line. What is the best psi??? I am still,after 2 months, having carb issues. Flooding out carb after putting load on engine.I put a new fuel pump on,maybe putting out too much psi. If this don't work,gonna trash this carb and buy a new one,sick of messin with this damn thing. I can run engine forever at idle in my garage,as soon as I get it on the road, it floods out. Needle and seat hold and no leaks in floats,Carter 1 barrel Thanks again and need some help before I throw this carb in the river

Are you running an elecric pump, or a mechanical pump? If you are running a mechanical pump, you shouldn't need a pressure regulator. That being the case, I'd think there were problems with the carburetor. If you are running and electric pump, you need to set the fuel pressure at 5 to 6 lbs at idle. I hope this helps you out with the problem.

I too would be looking at the carb. but verify fuel pressure also. Worn or damaged needle and seat or incorrect float setting probably being the two most common problems. Also take a look at the float through its range of motion, it could be getting stuck or hanging up at one point.

If its not burning the fuel off efficiently it would flood out slowly but surely with any carb.

I would be looking at distributer and timing.

Well put a gauge on her today and almost 4psi,so the fuel pump is working correctly. I can let it run for 40-60 min at home,take her out on the road, and it floods out. I think the carb is just too old to repair. Yea, i have had this thing apart at least 20 times,it's put together correctly,not only by me,but by my buddies,and it ain't working. Gas tank is vented,needle and seat hold,everything brand new inside carb. Put a load on her down the road and she floods out. the only thing it might be,if the floats were sticking somehow under load,and there is no way to duplicate that sitting in my garage. So will probably hold my breath and buy a reman carb,can't be any worse!!!!

Post a wanted ad and see if anyone has one they know is in good shape, or hit some of the swap meets coming up in Texas. Just a suggestion for ya.

Are the floats new ?
Wondering if there is a possibility of a pin hole in the floats ?

The floats,float.After 2 months,we have researched everything. it just pisses all of us off that we cannot figure out this deal. Like I have heard so much,Hey it's only a 1 barrell,well this 1 barrell kicked our ***

The floats,float.After 2 months,we have researched everything. it just pisses all of us off that we cannot figure out this deal. Like I have heard so much,Hey it's only a 1 barrell,well this 1 barrell kicked our ***

Sounds like its posesed. :angryfir: Probably time to move on.

Yea, it's weird you said that,my buddy said lets perform a excorcism on this thing,it's definitely got stuff going on that we can't figure out

-
Back