Fuel pump bad?

-

Snappy

1 Corinthians 9:24 "WIN"
Reaction score
I have a 73 duster 318, 904 trans. My question is the fuel filter, clear plastic type, is sometimes almost completely empty, then you can see fuel spurting a little then nothing, and sometimes full. The car does not seem to be starving for fuel but shouldn't a mechanical pump continually pump to fill the filter and the float shut off the fuel. And when I say empty I mean not even touching the paper element. Any assistance would be appreciated.

No. The pump delivers in pulses because it is driven off a cam and does not have pressure all the time.

When I had a clear one long ago on a slant six, I also wondered why it looked almost empty most of the time. I suspected vapor lock, but never proved it.

you could get a non clear filter then you wouldnt be able to see it n not worry! ha jk if its not sputterin i would concur its good but are you lookin at it when its runin?

I used to run the plastic filters until someone pointed out that if they melt you'll be spewing gas all over the place and potential for fire. It sounds like yours is operating normally though.

Thanks everyone for your comments, and the good natured ribbing. And I appreciate the heads up on fire hazard, clear one is being used to verify concerns since vehicle was not running when I got it.

i too use a clear fram and sometimes its full sometimes you can barely see gas in it . everything works normally

Maybe it's like the old riddle, "Is the light on in the refrigerator when the door is closed?" Is there gas in the filter when the hood is closed? I wonder...

-
Back