fuel pump install question..

-

cricket73

Reaction score
it is very likely i am not using the right phrasing in searching to find this if it's been asked/answered, but are there any tricks to replacing the mech fuel pump in a 71 dart, 225/l6? just having some issues getting in there.. i'm pretty new at this classic car work, so it's entirely possible i'm missing something obvious...

The first thing is, mount it in the rear. Usually, there's room up over the axle area. Be sure to mount it "safe" and check the current draw so you can use large enough wire. I'd say no12 minimum, even for a stock little pump. Use a relay to operate it, rather than pulling power "off the key" and FUSE it as close to the battery as you can get.

Why do you want to convert?

Mechanical pumps ran billions of miles on millions of cars and trucks over the years.

Looks he just wants to know how to replace his mech fuel pump with a new fuel pump

no conversion, i just have a mechanical. tight fit and want to replace with another mechanical, just wondering if there were any ideas to make it easier- that's all. this will be my first job replacing the fuel pump, any helpful advice appreciated. also, i'm a she. :)

Sorry, somehow I read "electric" there someplace. Must'ha been my eyeballs doing things

weird_eyes.jpg

Here is how!!
take the fuel lines off the pump and then take out the 2 bolts that hold the pump on and pull the pump out, when reinstalling there is a push rod that has to be pushed up inside where the pump came out of and then put the pump in place and tighten down again with the 2 bolts and rehook all the fuel lines to it

Here is how!!
take the fuel lines off the pump and then take out the 2 bolts that hold the pump on and pull the pump out, when reinstalling there is a push rod that has to be pushed up inside where the pump came out of

No pushrod, ain't no stinkin' chebby! To make it a little easier you can rotate the motor over so your not fighting the pump arm against the lobe on the cam. Other than that pretty straight forward.

got the pump in, and she's working- was able to make a short drive, now looking into the other engine issues. going slowly, but getting there

-
Back