Fuel pump issue

-

chuckl1966

Reaction score
I would like to get away from the mechanical fuel pump on my small block. I have to use too many adaptors to reduce from a 3/8 fuel line to ¼ in and back out of the pump and then up to the carb. A lot of hoses and clamps, looks sloppy. I looked at an electric pump but it suggests that the pump be mounted as low as the lowest part of the gas tank and as close to the tank as possible. I’m really not sure I have a good enough spot to mount it. I have a 318 in a 66 Barracuda. Any one have a thought on this?

I would like to get away from the mechanical fuel pump on my small block. I have to use too many adaptors to reduce from a 3/8 fuel line to ¼ in and back out of the pump and then up to the carb. A lot of hoses and clamps, looks sloppy. I looked at an electric pump but it suggests that the pump be mounted as low as the lowest part of the gas tank and as close to the tank as possible. I’m really not sure I have a good enough spot to mount it. I have a 318 in a 66 Barracuda. Any one have a thought on this?

Hard tube it from the pump outlet all the way to the carb inlet then, it's a good way to practice your bending skills.

Terry

I agree. Simply purchase a bending tool and make a single hard line that runs fromm the fuel pump, behind the forward alternator brackets, and pver the right side of the intake. electrics will require the same construction.

Ok. My tube bending stacks up to the best of them. But I need to know where is the best place to mount the pump below the gas tank. I have a Holley red and in it's directions they want it mounted below the lowest part of the tank. Or would another pump work better.

Ok. My tube bending stacks up to the best of them. But I need to know where is the best place to mount the pump below the gas tank. I have a Holley red and in it's directions they want it mounted below the lowest part of the tank. Or would another pump work better.

Sorry chuck, when I said hard tube it I was referring to using the mechanical pump. I'm not a big believer in using electrics on street cars, mostly cuss of the noise and you can get high flow mechanicals that work just fine for me anyway.

Terry

I would use a high flow aftermarket mechanical pump. they are made with 3/8" NPT threads for inlet and outlet in the pump body so you can buy adapters for whatever size hose or tubing you need to connect to it.

Bob

Ok. I have 3/8" line coming from my gas tank and the stock pump has a 1/4" inlet and outlet. And a 3/8" line going to the carb. That's were I'm getting into adapting line sizes. I bought a 3/8" braided line kit to clean things up but the threads on the outlet of a mopar pump is not a standard pipe thread, it's like a brake line thread and I can't fine a adaptor. That's way I was trying a electric pump. I don't mind staying with the stock pump if I could get away from all the hose clamps and adaptors. I was just hoping someone would have a clean and neat way of doing it.

The stock pump should have 5/16 line connections. If your engine is mildly built 5/16 line should be adequate, but thats up to you. Personally I hate those holley pumps, I used to run one on one of my cars and it constantly made a droning buzzing sound. If you want a quiet pump you need a gerotor type pump - like a mallory. The holley pumps are a vane type pump. I would go with a mechnical high volume pump as described above. Summit or jegs sells them.

-
Back