fuel pump keyed power

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
where is the best place to get 12v keyed power for an electric fuel pump? Im not planning on running a seperate on/off switch, just planning on the pump running when the key is on. Im aware of the spades on the backside of the fuse box, but those are not keyed power. Will i need to splice in somewhere on the back of the ignition swith, or is there an unused accesory plug i could use? maybe cig lighter, etc. I really hate to cut and splice for this type of connection, a plug and play is the best bet.

Didnt plan on it, i ran heavy wire, #12 if im remembering correct, back to the pump and grounded direct to the frame. Dont give me any bad news! full core melt down?
you are planning on using a relay, right??

Didnt plan on it, i ran heavy wire, #12 if im remembering correct, back to the pump and grounded direct to the frame. Dont give me any bad news! full core melt down?
very probable, i would put a relay in it....

Tap the blue wire at the voltage regulator. Add 1 15 amp fuse. This will supply signal to close a normally open relay . The fuel pump 12 V supply via your heavy gauge wire comes from the starter relays terminal post ( battery side ). That wire should have a 30 amp maxi fuse between starter relay and fuel pump relay. Hope this makes sense.

Tap the blue wire at the voltage regulator. Add 1 15 amp fuse. This will supply signal to close a normally open relay . The fuel pump 12 V supply via your heavy gauge wire comes from the starter relays terminal post ( battery side ). That wire should have a 30 amp maxi fuse between starter relay and fuel pump relay. Hope this makes sense.
Ya, i follow. i suppose thats the safer bet. Does the heavy wire to the pump need that big of fuse? im not in the garage, but i think the Holley pump directions only call for a 7.5 fuse. maybe im thinking of somthing else???

what ever they recommend. Infact if the fuel pump doesn't require high amp current , none of that stuff is required. I was adding high amp accesory power. If the fuel pump doesn't need or use more power than the radio, you could tap that wire.

If your fuel pump only pulls 7.5 amps max. current I would think you do not need a relay nor do you need a heavy duty wire going to it. It is a good idea however to have the 7.5 amp fuse (close to the source) in series with the fuel pump positive lead.

I'd run with the relay system.
You can still fire the relay with the key switch.
The pump could pull more amperage momenteraly
at startup and relay will take the load off
the original wiring.
Fuses can stop a whole lot of problems if they
were to occur.

-
Back