Fuel pump wiring

-

joeboy

Reaction score
I am using the rock valley kit, but it doesnt specify what gauge wire is needed for the pump... Are you guys running 14 ga, or more....

Joe

Thicker is better, just make sure you run a relay and don't run all the current through your switch.
Only you can prevent mopar fires.LOL.

Once it goes thru the relay, 14g or 12g wire will be fine.

I think 12 or 14 is what I ended up with. When I first wired it up I thought I may have gone on the small side because the fuel pump fuse on my Megasquirt was hot enough to burn your finger and actually melted the plastic of the fuse without blowing it. I upped the wire size, but it didn't make too much difference, it's still pretty hot to the touch, but not all the time. I upped the fuse size as well and that helped some. I even redid the ground and strung a new wire up to the trans for a good solid ground path, but no difference.

Thanks guys. I picked up some 12ga. Still gotta figure out where I am gonna mount all my relays. I think I am gonna put a row of them next to the fuses...

Map63, are you using a relay? That sound like typical pump or fan draw without a relay... If you have one, may wanna just verify your wiring...

Joe

Yeah, it's all wired through the Megasquirt power relay board. It's got a relay and fuse for the fuel pump system that the computer just grounds. I think the issue might be in the board somewhere. I'd think the traces should be heavy enough to handle the draw since that's what it was designed for, but I haven't dug into it too far yet. I need to just put an ammeter on it one of these days and see what it's drawing.

I ordered a painless fuel relay kit for mine , they aren't that much.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-50102/

Just wanted to chime in with a quick question. That kit doesn't say how much wire comes with it. I looked at the summit version and it says 80 inches of wire. If I have a pump clear at the back of the car with a battery in the front, how will that work with only 6 1/2 ft of wire? I need to either build a wiring kit or buy one, but these universal kits don't seem to have near enough wire. Am I thinking all wrong on this for wire length?

pump and relay in the trunk. using the oil pressure switch as the on/off switch so the pump is off when the engine is off in case off an accident. Safety first, huh ;-)

-
Back