Fuel pump

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
Hey I have a weird issue I'm running into. I swapped over to an electric pump and it won't form a suction and pump fuel to the front. I got a way overkill pump and regulator but it won't deliver to the front. Could the pickup have fallen off? It shouldn't have because it worked fine with the mechanical pump but not with the electric. Just for fun I stuck it in a bucket and it pumped up fast and damn near shot fuel across the garage. What should I look for? Its a 65 dart. The pump is below the tank and I used all new hard line etc. I'm kinda stumped. Just figured I'd ask before I drop the tank.

i'm a bit out of the loop and it's been a few years since i drove the charger on a regular basis but,
if it worked fine with mech. but not elec. your pick up is fine.
if i remember correctly the first time i put an elec. on my charger and whenever i changed the pre-filter i had to leave the hose clamp on the output side a little loose(like a small leak) and run the pump for a few seconds to prime the system to that point.

Hey I have a weird issue I'm running into. I swapped over to an electric pump and it won't form a suction and pump fuel to the front. I got a way overkill pump and regulator but it won't deliver to the front. Could the pickup have fallen off? It shouldn't have because it worked fine with the mechanical pump but not with the electric. Just for fun I stuck it in a bucket and it pumped up fast and damn near shot fuel across the garage. What should I look for? Its a 65 dart. The pump is below the tank and I used all new hard line etc. I'm kinda stumped. Just figured I'd ask before I drop the tank.

I'm going to assume this is a rotary pump...like a holley blue, black, mallory 140...or something similar. These style pumps will NOT draw out of the stock tank because coming up the pickup/sending unit is STILL uphill. These pumps are pushers only. You have to get the fuel to them for them to work. The "easy" way to fix this issue will require a buddy. You basically need to disconnect the fuel line up by the carb, and have a buddy flip the fuel pump on. Then you take some type of pump (IE old shopvac you won't ever use in the house) and stick it on the end of the fuel line by the carb. this will draw the fuel through the line, to the pump...and then It's a comin!! thats when your buddy needs to kill the pump. The good news at this point is that you will have created a vacuum in the lines, and fuel will forever draw as normal through the tank, unless somehow you disconnect the line clear back by the pump and release the vacuum.

hope this helps...no one told me this either way back when i had the stock tank. good luck

thanks guys and johnny i was thinking the same thing. ill try that with my shop vac tomorrow to see if i can get her flowin. and yes its a holley 150 gph. have a good one guys!

-
Back