Fuel pump?

-

MoparMower

Reaction score
Whats goin on yall, so for a while now iv been scratching my head over why in the world my car will crank but will not run at an idle... i have to keep giving it peddle for it to stay cranked. At first i though the card was too big (its a 850 double pumper on a stock 440, it was like that when i bought it.) But then i though maybe... fuel pump?
The fella i got it from had put an electrical fuel pump on it but idk anything about it other than the fact that its electric and havnt the means to drop the tank and investigate further at this time. Any here says on weather that could be the problem? Also what fuel pump is everyone else running. This is gona be a raw dog street/strip weekend driver. Dont need it to look perdy but eventually id like to be pushing at least 350-400 ponys to the rear wheel. but for now just got to get her runnin right.

1972 Duster
440 pulled from a pickup w/A-727 & 8-3/4 rear
High rise manifold, big tube headers, holly double pumper, and of course the electric pump.

What can you get it to idle at? Turn the idle screw until it will idle and set the timing. Fuel pump would be simply checked at the bowl and/or with a FP gauge. Check that the PV is good and that your baseplate s tight. I'd have the carb gone through if you can't do it yourself.

That should get you closer.

What can you get it to idle at? Turn the idle screw until it will idle and set the timing. Fuel pump would be simply checked at the bowl and/or with a FP gauge. Check that the PV is good and that your baseplate s tight. I'd have the carb gone through if you can't do it yourself.

That should get you closer.

Hmmmm sometimes its the simplest things i cant think of myself because im so frustrated in the moment of it all. Lol ill try to idle it up and see if i can set it then. But seriously its gota be damn nearwide open to stay running, ima go give it a shot now!:blob:

First iv got to get it running well enough to where i can crank it and get out to use the timing light. Lol i tried what roccodart440 suggested and cranked the idle screw all the way down... still had to give it more throttle to keep it running. Honestly at this point i think ima take a risk and just order a new timing chain and put it on. If i get the cover off and it turns out tjats not the problem witch i think is highly unlikely, then at least ill have a new timing chain and ill know thats not the problem. But iv got my fingures crossed hoping thats it!

rotate the distrib. clockwise a little to advance the timing. may be getting too much gas cuz of a carb problem - dirt causing needle not to seat, floats set high, blown power valve

-
Back