Fuel sending unit/gauge issue? Wrong sending unit?

Fuel and Air Systems

1. Ahatchett

Ahatchett Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:19 AM
    So this has been a problem for a few years. But since the engine rebuild I've been driving the Duster a lot more. The fuel gauge reads the top 4 or 5 gallons in the tank then reads empty after that. I actually never knew it was doing it because the grounding strap was broken but i made a new one and found out about it. What is wrong? wrong sending unit?

2. 67Dart273

67Dart273 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:19 AM
    Well, some or all of that Do a search, there are dozens of posts on this. Start by running over to My Mopar and downloading a service manual, free.

Then take some measurements with various levels of "known" amounts of fuel in the tank. The old factory gauge/ sender tester was a simple box with 3 resistors. About 74 ohms brought the gauge to the empty pin (cold for temp), and about 23 ohms brought the gauge to the 1/2 way point. Somewhere around 10-12 ohms brought the gauge to the full / hot mark. ..........and go from there

We've discussed on here, that repop senders are junk. They are nowhere near the same as factory senders

• Like Like x 1
    • Ahatchett

Ahatchett Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:19 AM
      Thanks!
      Yeah I figured it was the crap sender. I didn't find this issue when I searched so I went ahead and posted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.